Chapter 51

Arielle

The next few days went by in a blur. The initial relief brought on by my return had long passed. I barely spoke, not even to Clara. I wasn't exactly depressed, but many things cycled in my mind. I could have handled many things better. I could tell Clara was worried, but she gave me my space as well.

Isabelle was another story. She made me eat something every mealtime. On the third day, she dragged me to take a shower. By the end of the week, she gave me an ultimatum.

"Arielle Reagan," she stood before me with her arms crossed over her chest, not looking the least bit impressed. "I'm not going to stand by and watch this any longer."

I raised an eyebrow at her. The normal me would have countered with some snarky remark such as "then sit down", likely followed with an eye roll. However, I just shrugged.

"Arielle!" She snapped, making me look up at her again. "You're not going to classes, you won't talk to your sister, you haven't reached out to your parents, you won't speak to a therapist, and you wouldn't even eat if I allowed it. This ends now. I know it might sound harsh but I cannot continue to watch you in this state. You will go talk to a therapist, or you will return to class if you wish to pass the semester." She snapped.

"And what do you suggest I tell a therapist?" I countered. "That I was abducted by a gang? That my girlfriend is in a gang and also happens to be my professor?"

At this, she shrugged. "Whatever you want. I know some professionals who wouldn't bat an eye at that."

"So your father knows people, you mean?" I looked up at her. She did not look amused but at least she looked less worried. "Arielle," she repeated, clearly about to start another lecture.

"I'll go back to class with you tomorrow... and take Clara to our parents' place. It should be safe, right?"

Isabelle nodded. "I've had at least ten guys in the area keeping watch since that day. Surprisingly enough, Vincenzo's people have done very little. Even after speaking to Trey, we haven't heard of any plans."

"Does that worry you?" I asked Isabelle after a few moments of silence.

"No," she said sharply. "That's for my father to worry about. My concern is you. I told him many years ago that that I had no interest in joining the family business. When he retires, that will be it." I nodded, not wanting to push the subject. "So you won't talk to anyone about it then?" She said after a moment.

I bit my lip and shook my head. "I'm fine. I'll be fine. I'm tougher than that."

This made Isabelle sigh again. "I don't doubt that, but that's precisely why I'm worried." She got up and stood beside the bed again. "Well, you've made your decision, you'd better start catching up on the materials that you missed. Finals are approaching soon. Oh, and you best speak with you sister if you intend to take her home tomorrow."

This set my nerves off again. As unfair as it was that I hadn't even told my parents that Clara was alive, I couldn't bring myself to speak to them yet. I forced myself up off of the bed and walked towards the door. Isabelle stayed in the room, watching me from behind. I made my way down the halls to the room where Clara had been staying.

Once I approached the door, I knocked on it twice and waited. There was no verbal response, but a few seconds later, Clara opened the door. She seemed very surprised to see me, and her face broke out into a smile as she pulled me into a hug. I tried to relax into the hug, but I hadn't been doing well with touch at all.

When she finally released me, we entered her room together. "How are you feeling?" She asked me anxiously.

"Better." I said simply. I had admittedly been trying to placate her with my response, but contrary to what one might expect, Isabelle's approach to forcing me to make a decision had helped a bit. "I think I should take you home tomorrow."