Chapter 47

Isabelle

I had returned to my house after a week, despite my father's protests. I couldn't stay there any longer. I was miserable and seeing the looks of concern on everyone's faces when they saw me around didn't help. I had instructed Marcel to keep trying to get information from Trey Alexander and keep me updated.

In the meantime, although it was the last thing on my mind, I had to get back to my job. I debated marking Arielle present as she could only miss a certain amount of classes before having to retake the semester, but then realized that her other professors would notice her absence and it would only cause more issues if I tried to pretend that she was here. I knew it was only a matter of time before her own parents contacted the authorities if they couldn't reach her.

It was after the second week on a Friday afternoon when Michael walked into my room after my last class had ended. "Michael, what a surprise!" I tried to sound genuinely surprised.

"Isabelle, sorry for coming here unannounced." He ran his hand through his hair, clearly flustered. "I know this sounds strange, but have you heard from Arielle Reagan in the last two weeks?"

I held my breath, trying to compose myself. "No...I haven't. I notice she's been absent."

"This isn't like Arielle. I spoke to her mom the other day and she was worried. She said that a few weeks ago, Ari had said she was staying with a friend for awhile, but had always kept in contact up to recently." He closed his eyes and leaned against the table closest to him.

It took everything in me to stay silent and speak in a neutral tone. "Perhaps you could try contacting that friend?"

"That's the thing. We don't know who she's staying with. Her mom is scared to tell her dad that Arielle hasn't been in contact since he was very opposed about letting her go in the first place." Michael explained, looking over at me. "Apparently she mentioned something but..."

I knew exactly what Arielle had said, but of course I couldn't say a thing. "I sincerely hope she reaches out and it's all a misunderstanding. She's a very gifted student." I said in a forced tone.

"Yeah..." Michael muttered, his mind clearly elsewhere. "I gotta run. Please let me know if you hear or remember anything." He nodded at me and I smiled.

As Michael left the room, I walked over and locked the door. Then, I turned around and leaned against it, slowly lowering myself to the ground. It was then that I started to cry, the heavy sobs racking my body.

I didn't know how much longer I could do this. I had never felt so helpless before. At this point, the police could get involved and I didn't know what repercussions that would mean. What if Vincenzo killed her?

Suddenly, I heard my phone buzz and I unlocked it to see a message from my father. I quickly sent a reply. Then, just out of habit, I clicked on Arielle's contact and checked her location. I waited for it to tell me that her last known location was at my father's estate two weeks ago.

5571 Lancaster Hill - updated 10 minutes ago.

I felt all of the nerves in my body go on end. She was alive. She had to be! I leapt to my feet faster than I could think. Grabbing my bag from the chair, I scrambled to unlock the door and hurried down the hallways. I could see several students stare at me as I pushed through the crowds, but I didn't care. As soon as I got out to the parking lot, I took a screenshot of the location and sent it to Marcel, adding a message to send in covert teams and meet me there.

I got in my car and drove, only one thing in my mind. I had to stop myself from speeding too much as the adrenaline rushed through my veins. It would do me no good if I got stopped by a police car halfway, I told myself.