Chapter 15

Arielle

We arrived at Dr. Williams' house after a twenty minute drive. The first thing that I noticed when she stopped the car was the beautiful scenery. It appeared to be a cozy, little house that was surrounded by white gates. There were two apple trees in the garden, framing the front entrance path that led to the house.

I opened the car door and made a move to get out, but froze once more when I heard my professor click her tongue in disapproval. Moments later, she had appeared on my side of the car. I squeaked in surprise as she reached in and picked me up again. I quickly threw my arms around her in order to prevent a nasty fall. She noticed this and smirked at me.

I blushed as she walked up the path and unlocked the gate. As she walked up the path to her house, I timidly asked her. "Can I pick an apple?"

She looked surprised at my request, but walked over to one of the trees anyways. I grinned happily as I grabbed the biggest one within my reach. When I was younger, my parents always took Clara and I to an orchard in the fall. We would make candy apples, which was why I loved picking apples so much. I would beg my parents to plant an apple tree in the garden just so we could do that at home, but it never happened.

I vaguely remember Clara holding me on her shoulders so I could reach the higher apples, which were obviously the best ones. I sighed and forced myself to come back to the present. I held the apple towards my mouth when a huge bite was suddenly taken from it.

I gasped in disbelief at my smirking professor. "Really? Really?!"

She chewed and swallowed the bite she had took and grinned. "Relax, it's just one bite."

"It was the FIRST bite! That's the best part!" She rolled her eyes at me.

"Stop being such a child."

"I want another one." I sulked. I knew that I was being immature, but I couldn't stop myself.

"You can have another if you finish that one." She reprimanded sternly, steering us back to the path. She set me down gently when we arrived at the door, reaching into her purse for her keys. As soon as she had unlocked the door, she picked me up again, carrying me inside her house.

"I can walk." I muttered softly and she either did not hear me, or chose to ignore me. My instincts told me that it was the latter. She began to walk up a flight of stairs as I looked around curiously. I had no idea how much a professor's salary was, but her house appeared to be quite luxurious.

We entered a long hallway and she nudged open the first door on the left with her foot before carrying me in. I stopped breathing and my heart began to race when I noticed that we were in a bedroom, and judging by the fact that her scent lingered especially strongly, I assumed that this was most likely her room.

Before I could ask, she slid my shoes off and set me down on my back on top of the bed. My eyes widened and my instincts forced me to push myself up. Being the klutz that I was, I accidentally fell off and landed on my injured foot, causing me to cry out in pain. Dr. Williams shot me a terrifying glare before lifting me back onto the bed.

"Wh-What are you doing?" I whimpered as she began to walk away.

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm getting my medical supplies." She hissed at me before disappearing from the room.

I instantly felt bad about my reaction, but if she had set me down on a couch, I probably wouldn't have panicked like I did.

Several moments later, she returned from wherever she had gone with a metal box in her hands, which she set down on the bed beside me. I immediately backed away from her as she unlatched the box and pulled out an empty syringe and tiny bottle of fluid.