Chapter 6

Arielle

When I arrived on campus on Monday morning, I headed to my first class. I couldn't concentrate on taking notes, and I thanked my lucky stars that Kayla was in this class and allowed me borrow her notes. I knew I would not be as lucky for Dr. Williams' seminar.

I was lost in thought as Dr. Olivier lectured, but I was brought back to reality when Kayla nudged me to signal the end of class. I slowly stood and began to gather my belongings. I noticed Kayla watching me with worry lines running across her forehead.

I silently exited the lecture hall as she trailed behind. "I think I'll go straight to my next class." Then I whispered, "I'm not hungry," before Kayla could protest. I admittedly had a bad habit of not being able to eat when I was anxious. I continued to lose myself in my thoughts as I thought about Clara. After several minutes, I had arrived at the seminar room.

"You're early." Dr. Williams looked up in surprise from her desk as I silently entered the classroom and sat down in my usual seat.

"I was taught that early is on time and on time is late." I replied. Even though I hadn't made the best first impression on her, I wanted to make sure I didn't upset her anymore. I turned on my laptop and pretended to stare at my notes while inserting my earbuds.

The words of my sister's worthless no-good former boyfriend haunted me more than I wanted to admit. He had never loved her. I couldn't fathom how scared Clara must have been and what she had to endure to survive until now. The anxiety plagued me all weekend and I couldn't even focus on preparing myself for what I had to face today. I could barely gather the energy to complete my readings.

A familiar song came on and I gulped loudly as an old memory hit me hard.

"Let it gooo, let it gooo, you'll never see me cryyyy!" 6 year old me sang in a shrill voice as I danced around my sister in a blue tutu.

Clara giggled and sang along, grabbing my arms and twirling me around. "And HERE I stand, and HERE I'll stay."

"Let the storm rage onnnnn!!" We chorused.

Mom chuckled in amusement. "I'm pretty sure you girls have broken the world record for the number of times you've sung that song."

Clara tickled my stomach and I squealed. "RiRi just loves it."

"Promise that you'll always sing that song with me! Even when we're all grown up!" I held out a pinky to my sister and she linked it with hers, giggling.

"Cross my heart, Ari."

"Please refrain from listening to music in my class." I swallowed loudly as I was brought back into reality.

Once again, class hadn't even started yet. "Yes, Professor." I replied monotonously and winded the earphones around my phone, placing it into my bag and pulling out my notebook instead. I stared at my notes blankly for a couple of minutes. I could feel my eyes watering and tears beginning to slide down my face. Since when did I become so emotional? I would need to pull myself together if I wanted to do this. There was simply no room for mistakes.

I jumped several inches in my seat when Dr. Williams suddenly placed her hands on the table on either side of me. I could feel her breath on the top of my head. I turned slightly and saw that she was leaning in to read my notes. I instinctively shied away and lowered my head to put some distance between us.