Chapter 14

Arielle

Chase nearly had a conniption when he found out about my injury. Despite my reassurance that Trey had helped me remove the glass and bandage it before driving me home, he had insisted on coming over to check up on me.

My dad was also less than happy when Chase showed up and refused to let him in. When the yelling started, I came downstairs to ask Chase to leave. All of this yelling only made the throbbing pain in my foot worse.

The next day, I woke up with what I was sure was a fever. I decided to go visit the doctor on campus and just take some Tylenol until then. Celine came over to drive me to school this morning so that I wouldn't have to limp to the bus stop.

It was just my luck that the campus doctor was not in today. Judging by how increasingly ill I was feeling, I would have to cancel this weekend's plans and go to a clinic. I probably felt a little too disappointed about this. I had already told my mom that I would be staying with a female friend.

Celine insisted on coming to get me after every class so that she could help me through the hallways as I didn't have crutches. I realized that the next class was Dr. William's seminar and quickly ushered Celine away once we reached the door, as I knew that if I came into class limping, she would demand an explanation.

I tried to walk normally into the room, hiding my pained expression. She sent me a smile and I returned it with a shy smile of my own. I reached my seat and sat there silently until I heard her footsteps approach me. The chair next to me was adjusted so that she could sit down facing me. "How was your night, Miss Reagan?"

"G-good." I stuttered, slowly bringing my eyes to meet hers.

"I imagine you've been busy. You mentioned that you were when I messaged you. What were you up to?" Her tone while asking seemingly innocent questions contained a certain something that made them sound more like an interrogation.

"I was doing something for work." I vaguely answered, avoiding the subject.

"I see." She looked like she wanted to say more but the door opened and students began to file in. She cleared her throat and stood up to go retrieve her laptop before sitting back down beside me.

We silently waited for the remainder of the students to join us. She gently placed a hand on my thigh and I allowed it without protest this time.

She appeared to be in a very good mood during the seminar and when she caught Mira whispering to me, she didn't even embarrass me about it. I, on the other hand, was feeling progressively worse as my fever began to rise. Soon, my head began to spin as well and I started to sweat.

Luckily for me, I managed to get through the class without fainting, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to get home by myself so I would have to call Celine for a ride. I purposely packed my books extra slowly and waited until the rest of the students had left because I had to explain to Dr. Williams about why I would need to cancel our plans.

As the last student exited the door, Dr. Williams sent me a shy smile from where she sat at her desk. I forced myself to smile back weakly. I pushed myself into a standing position on my good foot and began to walk towards her. Suddenly, my head spun violently and my vision went black for a moment, causing me to stumble and fall to the ground.

"Arielle!" I heard her panicked voice through my hazy senses and her hurried footsteps approaching me. Her arms slipped underneath my back and legs, lifting me up. I gasped as she carried me over to her chair before gently setting me down.