Chapter 3

Arielle

"I'm s-sorry." I was taken aback at her tone but there was also this intimidating aura about her.

There were about 20 people in the seminar room. It was much smaller than the lectures I was used to. "Well take a seat." The Professor muttered impatiently. I blushed and immediately scanned the room for a seat, but the only available seat was next to Dr. Williams. I quickly sat down and pulled out my notebook, trying my best to avoid her gaze. I wasn't sure why know why, but her gaze was very intense. "So as I was saying, the topics covered in this class over the course of this semester- yes?" She pointed at a guy that had his hand raised.

"Are you going to end class early today since it's first week?"

"No."

"But we always-"

"This is a third year course. I intend to use every moment that we have. If you have an issue with that, perhaps you should reconsider taking this course. And do not interrupt me." She added. The boy went red and I couldn't help but giggle softly. "And you. What's your name?"

It took me a moment to realize that she was addressing me. "A-Arielle Reagan, ma'am." I replied quietly.

"Well, Miss Reagan, I will let your tardiness slip this time as it's the first day, but please be on time in the future."

"Yes, Professor." I still refused to meet her gaze.

"Alright, now that everyone is here and has some idea of my expectations, let's go over the topics that we will cover in the course throughout the semester." She paused and looked around the room before continuing. "We will mainly be exploring different theories of justice and applying those to our current criminal justice system. You will have a midterm in week 6, and a final in week 13. Your term paper, which I will introduce next week, is due in week 10. The best way to reach me is through email." She wrote her email on the board. "Give me 24 hours to reply before you email again. Any questions?" When no one spoke, she continued. "Alright. Today we will be discussing some statistics of the contemporary criminal justice system. We will move onto theories next class."

I reached in my bag for my notebook and began to scribble things down.

"...the highest rates of remand..." She cleared her throat. "On another note, how many of you have taken Justice 250?" About 7 people raised their hands. "Okay, and how about 240?" The remaining people raised their hands. Professor Williams suddenly turned to me. "Miss..."

"Reagan." I answered.

"Yes, Miss Reagan. You have not taken either 240 or 250?" She raised an eyebrows at me. I shook my head. "How did you get into this class if you do not have either of the prerequisites?"

"Special permission from the Head of Department." I mumbled.

She frowned. "That's rather odd. Usually he informs me of such circumstances."

"I apologize for the confusion. He-"

"Well, no, this is not your fault. I-" At this time, she appeared to realize that the entire class was watching our conversation in interest. She cleared her throat. "Would you mind accompanying me to pay the Head of Department a visit after class?"

I had no classes after this, but I knew Chase would probably come to pick me up so we could go to the office and I didn't want to keep him waiting. "I actually need to be somewhere-"

"It will only take ten minutes." She spoke firmly, dismissing the subject.

"Yes, Professor." I sighed. She seemed satisfied with my response and continued to address the class.