Chapter 4

Arielle

The meeting was quite enlightening to say the least. In addition to discussing the new case that Kylie and Lukas were dealing with, I also found out some news about Clara's case. Avery had said this to me in passing after the meeting because she knew that we were meant to keep the details of Clara's case somewhat a secret, even within the organization. Another guy on our team, Matthew, had been out at the bar with his girlfriend, Holly, about a week ago, and they had encountered this guy who had obviously had one too many drinks was spilling information.

He had said that his name was Jacob and he appeared to be quite paranoid and hysterical when Matthew met him. Apparently, he had gotten arrested awhile back for selling drugs for the Black Phoenix gang, and he had sold them out due to fear of going to prison. Knowing the Black Phoenix gang was after him, he decided to go get drunk one last time before skipping town. Deep down, he likely knew that he wouldn't get away though. The Black Phoenix had connections even within the local police force.

In the midst of his drunken rambles, he actually told Matt some useful information. While he was at the Black Phoenix's headquarters on several occasions to pick up the packages, there was a girl who appeared to be in her mid-twenties who was always around. Compared to the other gang members, she appeared to be quite out of place. She had short brown hair and striking, green eyes. However, her natural hair appeared to be red as shown by her roots. She never spoke, but he heard the others refer to her as "Kate". The next part made my blood boil when I heard Matt say that Jacob admitted to seeing this girl being slapped around on more than one occasion. Chase had to stop me from lunging out of my seat upon hearing this.

Matt didn't realize that he could be referring to my sister, but knowing that he had information about the Black Phoenix, he knocked him out and brought him back to the office. It was no secret that both Chase and I had history with this gang, even if the details were unknown to the others. Even I was not sure exactly regarding the circumstances of why Chase hated the gang so much, but I knew that was also one of the reasons he had specifically recruited me for the agency. A common hatred was a powerful thing.

Of course, it was a complete secret as to where the gang's headquarters were, since they had so many locations set up, so it was not as if we could launch any rescue missions. After Jacob had sobered up, Chase had personally interrogated him and inferred that he was referring to my sister based on the information he revealed. Chase decided to keep him here for the time being until it was safe for him to leave town. As Chase's personal assistant and most trusted person, of course Avery knew. However, Chase had finished interrogating him three days ago. They had been keeping this from me for three bloody days.

I turned to glare at Chase as soon as we exited the room. "Excuse you?"

"What?"

"How could you keep this from me?!"

He sighed. "Look, Ari, this honestly wasn't a matter of keeping it from you or not, I swear. I..didn't know how to tell you."

"Avery knew." I stated.

"It's not Ave's fault." He sighed. "She was under the impression that I would tell you. When she found out I still hadn't last night, she called you so I'd have no choice but to tell you today."

"Funny how you're standing up for her. Sure you two aren't dating?" I commented coolly.

"What? No! We-" He let out a nervous laugh. "So you're not mad?"

"Oh what makes you think that, Sir?" I sneered. "I'm furious." I growled. "I deserved to know about this first. Do you realize how many years I've been waiting for this news?!" I had been looking for any hope that my sister was alive, but it was as if she had disappeared off the edge of the earth. The Black Phoenix had the power to do that to people. This was the only indication that I had gotten in all these years that she could be alive .