Chapter 5

Arielle

"Arielle!" I recognized that high-pitched, annoying tone immediately. My head whipped in the other direction in horror as the seminar room door burst open, interrupting Dr. Williams mid-speech. I quickly lowered my head and tried to hide behind Dr. Williams and a boy named Trevor, who sat between the door and me "Is Arielle Reagan here? I need to speak to her."

Dr. Williams stood up. "Excuse me. I don't know who you are, but you cannot just burst into classes that are in session. if you need to speak to a student, I recommend you wait until the class is over or message them and ask them to quietly excuse themself and meet you elsewhere." She stated coldly.

"I urgently need to talk to her and she's not answering my messages." She insisted. I glanced down at my phone to see three unread messages from her. "She needs to take me to McCallister Hall now." I fumed from my seat, making sure not to make eye contact with her at the door. Surely she could come up with a better excuse? I knew Ben had already shown her around campus. She couldn't just burst in and disrupt my class because she was incapable of handling a case by herself.

Dr. Williams narrowed her eyes at Kylie. "If you need directions, you will go to the campus information desk and ask. Now please close the door."

"Gladly." She stepped in and closed the door behind her. My eyes widened at her audacity. "Ari-" she began to walk towards me, but was stopped by Dr. Williams.

Before she could speak again, I growled a single word. "Leave." Chase and I would definitely be having a word about this.

She frowned at me. "You don't understand! I need to get to McCalister Hall now. I've been texting your phone for the past five-"

"I wouldn't know as I was not on my phone. I'm in class. Apologize to Dr. Williams and leave." My voice was starting to shake a little from anger. Regardless of the situation, we weren't even on the same case right now. If she needed help, she could contact Chase or Lukas. This was exactly what I was afraid of. She narrowed her eyes at me and stormed out, slamming the door behind her. Dr. Williams turned back in my direction. I immediately avoided her gaze. "I apologize on her behalf."

"See me after class." With that, she turned and sat back down in the chair beside mine. I clenched my teeth together and looked away.

The remainder of the class passed uneventfully. I quietly took notes as to avoid drawing any more attention to myself. I caught her glancing at me occasionally. She discussed different justice frameworks and the issues with our current system. What really intrigued me was how she would present everything based on statistics and the raw data, rarely referring to personal perceptions. I raised my hand.

"Yes, Miss Reagan?"

"What is your personal opinion on what is wrong with our current system? What framework do you consider the most effective?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "That is irrelevant to our current discussion..." She glanced at the clock. "We have only 3 minutes remaining. For next week, I expect you all to write a 400-word reflection on today's lecture. Please email it to me when you are done. Class dismissed. Remember that we are discussing the term paper next week."

I sat there quietly as all of the students packed their belongings. Some students glanced at me in pity as they walked by. When the last student had exited the room, Dr. Williams locked the door behind her. She turned and crossed her arms in front of her. I couldn't help but notice how pretty she looked like this. As soon as that thought passed my head, I flushed and forced myself to focus on the conversation.