Chapter 49

Isabelle

It felt like I had been holding my breath for days. Even once I had Arielle in my arms, I was holding onto her so tightly that I forgot to breathe. I felt as though my body was operating on autopilot as I carried her into the bath and held her. I could feel the tears running down my cheeks and I felt even more guilty because it took the focus away from her.

We sat in the bath silently. I was afraid to even wash her. I didn't know all of what Arielle had gone through, but I had a rather good idea from what I did witness of her state when I first found her in that basement. The water eventually cooled off, and although Arielle didn't say anything, I could feel her shivering softly in my arms.

I cleared my throat softly as to not startle her with any sudden movements. "Baby girl, I'm going to get out and get you your towel."

She nodded, not speaking, but shifted forwards to allow me to get up. I stood up and stepped out onto the towel on the floor before reaching for one to wrap around me. Then, I reached down to pick Arielle up and wrapped another towel around her. I hesitated a moment before leaning down and pressing my lips against her forehead. When I pulled away, I could see a single tear fall from her eyes. I carried her into the bedroom and set her on the bed.

Then, I started to look for some pajamas to dress her in while dressing myself. I decided to just put her in a sweatshirt and some shorts so that she would be covered. I very gently helped her dress, making sure to examine her cuts and bruises in the process. Once I was satisfied that they were superficial, I slid the sweatshirt over her head.

Once I did, she spoke. "I won't break if you touch me." Her tone was quiet and she didn't look at me.

I sighed softly. "Are you hungry, sweetie? I'll go get some food."

"Where's Clara?" She asked, finally looking up at me.

"I'll go get your sister too," I said. "Will you be alright for a moment?" She nodded silently, looking back down at her hands which tightly gripped the sheets.

I turned and stepped out the room. Once I closed the door behind me, I finally let out a heavy breath. I slid my hand over my face. How could I have been so careless with Arielle? I knew exactly what kind of person she was - stubborn, strong-willed, but would she ever be the same after this?

I turned to go downstairs to tell the chef to heat up some tomato soup and pasta for two. Then, I went to find Clara Reagan.

I found her sitting on the bed in one of my father's guest rooms on the second floor. The door was open to I just stepped in. She looked up with a startled expression when she heard my footsteps.

I stopped a few metres away, giving her space. If I thought Arielle was having difficulty coping, then surely her sister would be experiencing something similar on an even larger scale. She had only known the abuse and gang life for years. She was in her mid-twenties now, but she was clearly malnourished and was barely any taller than Arielle.

"How are you feeling?" I found myself asking quietly as I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall.

She eyed me for a moment. "Fine..." she said in a strained tone.

"You can speak your mind here," I said softly. "There won't be any consequences if you do."

I could tell that my words weren't what she was used to. "I'm thankful that Ari is home safe."

"But what about you?" I asked cautiously.

"I-I suppose I'm having some difficulty adjusting. I-I should go see Arielle," she said and stood up hastily.