Chapter 19

6k reads!!

———————————————————————————

Arielle

"What is it?" I tried to keep the impatience out of my voice.

"Chase said to give this to you." She handed me a folded piece of paper. I took it from her with a frown.

When I opened it, I saw a diagram of a building with scribbles and lines on certain passageways. "What is it?"

"Chase thinks that Alexander finally wants to take you to the main building tonight, after the errand, if it's a success. This is what the inside of the place looks like, in case you'd like to familiarize yourself with it before you go."

"Wait, but didn't they already take me to headquarters last time?" I frowned in confusion.

"No, Chase heard that they call that place headquarters a lot because it's Vincenzo's residence within the city, or maybe they do it to throw people off. I don't know, but this is where all the main operations happen for the gang." I didn't suppose it would be any use asking how Chase had heard this.

I felt my heart begin to beat faster at her words though. Could this be where Clara was last seen? "And how exactly did Chase get his hands on this?" I asked, holding up the map.

Kayla hesitated. "I'm not really sure. I feel like he may have a connection inside-"

"Impossible." I interrupted. "If he did, he would have said something. Or asked them to recruit me. There would have been no point in getting me to approach Trey."

"I know... but look at the back." I raised an eyebrow at her before doing so. On the back of the paper was a name scrawled in Chase's handwriting.

Vaughn Hughes.

"He said that this person may have some information."

"And how does he know this?" I felt a strange feeling within me that I could not quite explain. I couldn't allow my confidence to waver. Chase kept a lot of things about his personal intentions secret, but surely he wouldn't keep things from me when it came to helping Clara.

"I don't know, Arielle. That's something you ought to speak to him about. That leads into something else I wanted to speak to you about, actually. I honestly don't even know how to start..." she hesitated. I raised an eyebrow at her. "Right, I'm just going to say it. Chase has been acting really weird."

"Weird? How so?" This caught my attention.

"It's like...he's slowly losing his patience with everyone? He acts paranoid that something will go wrong every time you run an errand with Alexander."

I shrugged. "I mean, he could just be worried."

Kayla's face hardened. "Look, Ari, you haven't been in the office much lately so you don't know, but he's different, I swear."

I sighed. "When did this start happening?"

"About the same time that he heard that Tristan Vincenzo agreed to recruit you."

"And what are you hoping I can do about this?" I sighed again.

"Talk to him?"

"I can try, but what makes you think he will tell me anything?"

"Aside from Avery, he's probably the closest to you." She pointed out.

"Then why not ask Avery?"

"B-because...I feel like she knows what's going on, but she won't say anything."