Chapter 9

Arielle

She did not let go of my hand for the entire class. I tried to pull away, not wanting my professor to feel how sweaty my palms had gotten from my nervousness, but every time, she simply shot me a look that sent chills up my back. After that, I silently sat in my seat and stewed in my frustration.

I wasn't afraid of snapping at Chase, leaving my parents, or even the Black Phoenix, but one look from Dr. Isabelle Williams had been making me freeze in fear. I was also annoyed because I knew that most of my irritation was attributable to the fact that a part of me enjoyed how she treated me. I didn't want to admit that I also enjoyed holding her hand a bit too much.

Several minutes before class ended, Mira slipped me a note. Once I was sure that Dr. Williams could not see, I flipped it open.

Isn't it weird how Dr. Williams moved everyone except you?

I glanced at her, wide-eyed, as I hid the note under my notebook. What were we, in high school? Why did this girl have to be so observant? She shrugged at me. "Alright, class," I jumped in my seat and Dr. Williams frowned at me before continuing. "I expect your reflections to be emailed to me by Sunday at midnight. Class dismissed."

I made a move to stand, but she didn't release my hand. "I need to speak to you about your assignment, Miss Reagan."

"I really need to-"

"It'll only take a minute." She insisted, her tone leaving no room for debate. Mira stared at us for a moment and I groaned quietly. The last thing that I wanted was to draw unnecessary attention to myself, not when at least one person had already seemingly noticed the extra attention she gave me. Mira gave me a sympathetic look as she gathered her books and exited the classroom.

After everyone had left, I gave Dr. Williams an annoyed expression and began to dial Chase's number on my phone, ignoring her obvious irritated look in response to me making a call in her classroom. Quite frankly if she took issue with it, I could leave.

"Ari?" Chase's voice sounded from the speaker.

"I'm gonna be late. Maybe you shouldn't wait." I knew Dr. Williams was sitting close enough to hear every word.

"That's fine. It's Friday, so I don't mind waiting a bit. You're not in any trouble, are you?"

"No, I just-I'll explain later." I promised quietly. "See you soon." I hung up the phone and turned to Dr. Williams expectantly.

"Let me see your notes." I raised an eyebrow and pushed my notebook to her, forgetting about the note underneath. She quickly grabbed it and placed it inside the breast pocket of her blazer when I tried to reach for it. "Down."

"I'm not a dog!" I snapped.

"Correct. A dog would be more obedient." I gaped at her as she began to leaf through my notes nonchalantly.

"You missed what I said about the philosophy of the current legislation."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked sincerely, rubbing my temples. Did she seriously make me stay after so that she could inspect my notes?

"Whatever are you referring to, Miss Reagan? I am simply ensuring that my student who is quite a bit younger than the others is able to perform well in this course, seeing as she doesn't have either of the prerequisites." She replied innocently. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Now write in the four underlying principles before you forget, Miss Reagan." She said in a rather patronizing tone, making me tense my jaw.