Chapter 27

Arielle

I didn't know how I managed to function normally in the days leading up to the task, or as Rex called it, the suicide mission. I was barely aware of my surroundings and consistently ignored all of Chase's calls. With things this far gone, I definitely couldn't afford to let him try to talk me out of it.

Isabelle had also texted many times asking why I never showed up to class on Monday and when I never responded, had cornered me into the room and locked the door on Friday after everyone had left. I sighed and sat back down in my chair, putting my head down. "Yes?"

"Excuse me?"

I sat up straight and looked at her blankly. "Why did you keep me behind?"

Isabelle opened her mouth to retort before observing my face and sighing. She walked up to the table, pulled out the chair beside me, and sat down. "Is something the matter, baby girl?" She asked in a softer tone instead. "You haven't been a responding to my messages at all. I've been worried for you."

Her words and tone made me tense up again. I didn't know how to respond to her concern. It made me feel guilty. It was then that I made a split-second decision in my head and I knew I had to follow through. I bit my lip silently and kept my head lowered. "Arielle-"

"I'm fine." I said quietly. "I've just been very busy with some personal issues. I apologize."

Isabelle was silent for a moment before smiling at me. "Well why don't I take you out tonight or tomorrow? Take your mind off things?"

"I'm very busy this weekend."

Isabelle blinked at me. "Okay, how about next weekend then?" She placed her hand on mine. I pulled away instantly.

"Look, I-Isabelle..." I trailed off, mentally debating how to do this. I didn't know what I had been thinking when I decided to give us a chance. I had been so selfish and this was clearly putting her in danger's way if anyone were to discover our relationship. Tristan had already threatened my family. I couldn't let Isabelle get hurt too. I had to do this, or she would never be willing to let me go. I took a deep breath. "I think we need to take a step back and think things through."

Isabelle expression went blank. "What are you saying?"

"I-I'm saying it's not worth it if anyone finds out." The words killed me to say, but I was determined not to let it show on my face.

She lifted my chin with her hand gently, making me tremble slightly. "I'm willing to risk my job for you because I truly care for you. I'm the one that would get in the most trouble if anyone were to find out." She said in a visibly upset tone. "I thought you knew what you were getting into."

"Yeah, I thought I did as well." I heard myself say, but I didn't even recognize my voice. I stood up abruptly from the table, unable to look Isabelle in the eyes. "I'm sorry." I whispered into the silence before turning and walking out of the room.

I didn't realize there were tears flowing down my face until they dripped onto my shirt. It had been so long since I had actually cried. I didn't know why I was so upset when I had known that this was bound to happen sometime. I sighed and wiped at my eyes with my sleeve. I cared for Isabelle, I truly did, but I couldn't afford to be close to anyone right now. Even if I made it out alive this Friday, there was still a chance that she would get hurt. Isabelle was right. She did have more to lose, which was exactly why I couldn't let her get hurt because of me.

I sighed and ducked into the bathroom to wash my face before heading home. I stared blankly out the window of the bus for most of the ride home. I hadn't been to the office since the argument with Chase. When I arrived and walked into the house, I was very surprised to see that my father was home so early.