Chapter 23

Arielle

Our new jobs were boring, but apparently of the "utmost importance". We spent the afternoon auditing every single gun and blade in the weapons lab, as well as noting the stock. Neither Trey nor Rex tried to engage me in conversation and that gave me a lot of time to think about recent revelations. I also got a nasty realization of just how many weapons the Black Phoenix had, and that was just what was stored as backup.

I knew Trey had been hesitant to recruit me previously, but now knowing the reason why, I couldn't help but wonder why he had allowed me to join at all. According to Rex, he had never recruited a single other person before and by taking me in, he was single-handedly taking responsibility for every decision that I made, whether good or bad. This made me anxious. Just because he was a member of the Black Phoenix didn't mean I wanted him to be collateral damage when I inevitably had to show my true colours. He had helped me, after all.

I really wanted to ask him, but I hadn't yet for two main reasons. One, we were under constant surveillance in the weapons lab and two, even if I did ask, I highly doubted that we would be having a heart to heart anytime soon.

As for Rex, he had been oddly quiet since our conversation earlier. My instincts told me not to bring it up however, so I didn't. "How's the supply of bullets?"

I quickly checked my notes. "Six hundred full crates."

"Take one from each batch and grab a gun. We're going to test them out." 

I did as I was told as quickly as I could and followed Trey out. He was apparently too preoccupied to help carry anything, and when I said preoccupied, I meant he was gulping down a Monster drink. Rex continued to examine the guns for any defects. Once we were out of the range of the cameras, I finally posed my question. "Trey?" He grunted to indicate that he had heard me. "Why did you agree to recruit me?"

Trey stopped walking and turned to face me with an expression of annoyance. "You won the fight, didn't you?" He snapped

"What did you want to fight me in the first place? If Rex was telling the truth and you've never recruited anyone, you couldn't possibly have offered to fight every person who wanted to join."

He narrowed his eyes at me, but didn't say anything else. After a moment, he began to walk off. "Wait!" I yelled in frustration. "I'm very grateful, Trey, but I just want to know why."

"Asking too many questions will get you in trouble."

I caught up to him and walked around to face him. "What do you mean?"

He glared at me. "I didn't ask about your reasons for joining, so don't ask me for my reasons for recruiting you."

"I told you I joined because-"

"That's a lie." He sneered.

I was startled by the certainty I heard in his response. "Well if you didn't believe me, then why-"

"No. More. Questions." He stated flatly. "Grab the gun and come." I sighed. Clearly this conversation was over before it had even started.

I followed Trey out into a clearing. He emptied the remainder of his energy drink and hurled the can a distance away. "Load the gun and fire. Target's that can."

I was no novice to shooting a gun, but that didn't mean that the noise didn't bother me. It bothered me a lot less when we were running from the cops, but that was obviously due to the rushing adrenaline through my veins. I aimed and shot the can easily. "Next round." Trey spoke without missing a beat. I loaded the gun and shot again.

This continued until we had tested all the bullets. "Alright. Let's go in." I didn't say anything else and just complied with a stoic expression.

The tension in the room was very noticeable for the remainder of the afternoon. At about seven o'clock, we had finally finished and I excused myself to leave.