Chapter 10

Mature content ahead

———————————————————————————

Arielle

I stared at my phone in disbelief. I had several responses running through my head, but none of them seemed appropriate.

How did you get my number?"

Are you stalking me?

What do you want from me?

After a moment, I decided to just not reply, hoping that she would give up. My phone went off again after several minutes. Against my better judgment, I checked the message.

I know that this is your number, Miss Reagan. You can answer me now, or in class on Monday.

I scoffed and placed my phone inside the drawer of my desk. Minutes later, my phone began to ring instead. I yanked the drawer open and pressed the answer button furiously.

"What!" I hissed in annoyance.

"That's not a very nice way to answer the phone." Her familiar voice rang through the other line. I took a deep breath and contemplated hanging up the phone. This was ridiculous. I didn't even let my parents get close to me. I didn't know why she was doing this, but I was not going to let one of my professors treat me like this.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," I said quietly.

"No you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't have answered." I clenched my teeth in annoyance, knowing that she was right.

I took in a deep breath, hoping to get this over with. "What can I do for you, Professor?" I said in the sweetest tone that I could fake.

"You can answer the first question that I asked you."

"I don't think that's any of your business." I replied as politely as I could.

"Would you prefer to have this conversation in person after class on Monday?"

"You can't make me stay after class." I said quietly.

She chuckled softly. "Is that a challenge, Miss Reagan?"

"No." I stated firmly.

"I think you will find that I can be quite...persuasive. I suggest you answer me." She nearly purred on the word "persuasive", making me shiver.

I pursed my lips together and considered my options. What was the worst that she could do? Threaten to fail me? That prospect would have intimidated me if Michael wasn't the head of department.

"Have a good weekend, Professor." I replied cheerfully and ended the call. Then, I turned my phone on silent and placed my phone back into my drawer. I half expected her to call again, but it never came.

~~~~

Monday came around again very soon. I purposely waited outside the classroom until just a minute before the start of seminar was scheduled to begin, so that she could not engage me in conversation. I ignored her glare as I sat down in my usual seat. She took her seat beside me and began to address the class calmly, not giving away her irritation. "Alright, everyone. Today we will be discussing the term project, in which you will develop your own theory and write a proposal on a possible study that you could conduct to test it."