Chapter 24

Arielle

We made our way through the university corridors, acting as professionally as we could, until we arrived at the parking lot. Then Isabelle gently nudged my arm in the direction of her car. The parking lot was relatively empty and no one seemed to pay any attention to us.

Isabelle insisted on opening my door for me and helped me put on my seat belt before walking over to the other side. I watched her with a slight blush, my mind still focused on the events that occurred in her classroom. She smirked knowingly at me, but didn't comment.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I asked curiously.

"Nope." Her hand slid possessively over my upper thigh and I placed my hand over hers. Isabelle drove us out of the parking lot and exited campus after a series of turns.

She drove down the path that my bus usually took home. We drove in silence for a bit until she spoke. "So what are your plans for this weekend?" I stiffened immediately and she noticed.

I cleared my throat. "Going out with parents."

Isabelle frowned at me, but didn't call me out. "Where are you going?" She tried again.

"I-I'm not sure." I stuttered. Being in her presence had always made me slightly nervous.

She let out a sigh and didn't comment. Soon, she passed the place that my bus usually turned at and drove onto a highway. I looked at her questioningly. She smiled a little. "I thought that my favourite restaurant out of town would give us the perfect opportunity to get to know each other without having to worry about running into anyone who knows us."

I smiled at her thoughtfulness. "That sounds amazing."

She glanced at me for a second and smiled before turning her eyes back to the road. I loved watching her focused expression, just like when she was teaching. She would frown slightly while biting the corner of her lip. Still, her lipstick remained immaculate and never stained her teeth.

"What are you thinking about?"

Her question caught me off guard and I inadvertently told the truth. "Just wondering how your lipstick always stays perfect and never stains your teeth, even when you bite your lip."

Isabelle burst out laughing and my face went bright red, realizing what I had just said. "You are so weird sometimes, but I find it adorable." She teased, making me lower my head. She lifted my chin up with her finger again. "I think you have your attention in the wrong place in class."

I huffed at her, blushing furiously, as she continued to laugh. She gently dragged her nails along my cheek after a moment. "I'm just teasing." I slowly pulled her hand away from my cheek and held it in mine, causing her to smile.

Not long after, we had arrived at a quaint little French restaurant. Isabelle got out of the car and walked over to my side to help me out as well. She held my hand firmly as we entered the restaurant. The hostess' eyes widened when she saw us. "Mademoiselle Isabelle, c'est un plaisir de vous revoir."

"Same to you, Veronika. Table for two, please." Isabelle stared at the woman intently, as if they were having a nonverbal conversation. The woman jerked her head swiftly, as if to say that she understood.

"Yes, of course. This way please." She spoke in a heavy accent as she picked up two menus and guided us over to a scenic spot by the window.

"Merci." Isabelle replied and took the menus from her. We sat down as Veronika walked away.

"Do you come here often?" I say, breaking the silence between us.

She smiled at me. "Yes, it's a family favourite. Great place to get some authentic food."