40: You Promised

Tony's pov

Mimi is hard to read. She's not my little girl anymore. She's a woman in her own sense. I wish I could read her like the six-year-old she used to be when I knew if she was sad because her lip would wobble and her voice would quiver. Or when she was mad because her foot would do this tapping thing and she'd sigh. Or when she was scared she'd play with who Evers's fingers were closets to her and chew her lip her eyes would go as wide as dinner plates as she took in her surroundings. But she doesn't do any of that anymore. She's neutral in every emotion except happiness her smile reaches her eyes and her nose scrunches slightly though I've not seen that much recently. She's so serious and she's not even 21 yet. I felt bad because I feel like I dragged her into the avenger stuff by default of being her home and it's such a big responsibility for such a young girl. Even peters took some time off now he's 18 he's gone travelling with MJ and he's having fun and letting go of his responsibilities because he's just a kid he should be able to do that. But Mimi she's focused fixated on her role she's always been that type of kid that wanted to do her best everything was done with care and passion from an early age so I'm not surprised with how serious she's taking it. In fact, I'm proud. But I just want my little girl back. I want her to smile. I can see that the effects of growing up the way she did and coming straight here taking a toll on her.

No matter how hard I tried I couldn't do anything to fix her. No amount of money was going to solve this. This was just who she was. Her worth ethic was outstanding. I just wished she knew how to take time for herself.

She was back from her mission today with Agent Hill. I had asked Fury to ease off on sending her on missions especially around her birthday he agreed as she has been doing a lot of work recently. Morgan was at the compound anxiously waiting by the door for her sister to walk through it. She swung her legs back and forth as she waited. "How much longer?" She asked looking up at me from her seat. "Any minute now," I say. Her car pulled up five minutes ago she was more than likely on the phone to Peter as they didn't get to say goodbye before he left or she was unloading the car slowly to avoid the rush of welcome homes and I missed yous. She had no clue Morgan was here. She hadn't seen her physically in over a month.

The door opened and Morgan jumped up and ran to Mimi not giving her a chance to see what was happening. As always Amelia picked her up and spun her around burying her head in the crook of her neck before littering her with kisses. "I missed you. Look how grown-up you are!" She said admiring her sister. "Did you get taller?" She questioned causing Morgan to giggle. Morgan cupped her face in both her hands. "I'm glad you're home." Mimi pecked her nose. "Good to be back...how about I take you out today?" She had been travelling all night she was more than likely exhausted. "We can go to the zoo and then maybe ice skating." She suggested and Morgan nodded eagerly. They both looked towards Peppa and me for permission which we of course gave. "Can we call Peter?" "He's about to get on his plane but he'll call mummy when he lands." She promised her.

—————-
The girls came back mid-afternoon in time for dinner Amelia wasn't interested in anyone else. She hadn't even said hello all her attention had been on Morgan. And judging by Morgan's smile she had the best day. It got tearful when she had to leave to go back to the safe house with her mum but Mimi compromised and drove them out Morgan to bed with a bedtime story from her and Peter who was on the phone and then she came back.

"How was the mission?" "Uneventful. Nothing really happened we were in the hotel most of the time." She says not looking up from her phone. I have no clue what she's doing on that thing but it's glued to her hand 24/7. "What you doing?" I asked. "Nothing." She locked her phone and put it face down. "You're in that thing all the time." She shrugged standing up from the island and swiping her phone off the countertop. "Amelia. What are you up to." "Why do I always have to be up to something?" She asked. "Because you're you." "Unfair reasoning." She objected. I held my hand out and she placed the phone in it knowing the drill. "Password?" "7931." She says. She had the CCTV footage of her mums cell up. "Why?" "Like to know she's still there and not ruining little girls lives." She says taking her phone and walking off. "Amelia!" She turned to face me. "She can't get to you anymore." "I know hence why I keep tabs. Because you said that Dreykov couldn't and he got out...I am only trusting myself when it comes to things like this." And she walked away.