14. Cooling Off

Shaylin's pov:

Jen has been laying on my lap for a while. After letting go off the hug, she said she got a headache. "Of course you do" I shook my head and told her to rest on my lap. She quietly did.

It's been almost 10 minutes. Has she fallen asleep? I very softly called "Jen?". 

"Hm?" she sounds so tired, but she turned around, laying on her back, facing me with semi closed eyes. Her eyelids are a bit pinkishly swollen, poor baby! 

Me: "Aren't you hungry?"

Jenny: (low voice) "A little bit"

Me: "Want me to make something? We haven't had dinner yet."

Jenny: "Ok"

She laid for few more seconds then sat up. I caressed her cheek then came to the kitchen. 

Just discovered that we don't have much stuff left in the fridge. Jeez, how long has it been since we bought groceries? Gotta go to the store tomorrow. Cooked some noodles for now.

We ate silently, then went to our rooms to do some work. As if I can concentrate, the only thing that's going in my mind right now is my bestfriend is in love with me. But gotta get something done. Luckily in a few minutes I started to concentrate at my computer, didn't even notice how time flew by.

"Oof, okay" I stretched, finished for now. Wait.. how long has it been? I look at the phone, yikes, 11pm already! I saved my work and rushed to Jen's room. She is still sitting at her computer, looked at me when I entered her room.

Me: "Still working?"

Jenny: "No, turned it off" (rubs forehead) "I'll finish later."

She got up but standing still, doesn't know what to do. "Enough work today" I spoke up "we have time to show the progress tomorrow, besides.. we got some work to do together."

I took her to the bed, "Want me to tuck you in?" I asked, smiling. She nodded looking down. I sat on the floor close to her, held her hand while gently stroking her hair. I've seen her eyes countless times before, but I don't know why, the way she is curled up inside the blanket, looking at me with helpless sleepiness, tugging my heartstrings.

I muttered "How's the headache?" putting my hand on her cheek. She held my hand firmly and whispered "getting better". I said "Ok good" we're now whispering to each other, "I don't know if I should give you any meds" I said. 

Jenny: "That's okay, I don't think I'll need it."

Me: "Ok.." (pause) "Jen?"

Jenny: "Yeah?"

Me: "Can I ask you something about earlier?"

Jenny: (holding my hand tighter) "Sure"

Me: "Now that you finally confessed, how're you feeling?"

She looked down for a second, closed her eyes and answered "Light like a feather". 

"Wow! Well good" I said chuckling "I'm glad you're feeling light... but honey can I say something?"

She looks at me, I said "whatever you feel, it's really REALLY sweet, and I can never hate you for that but.. Jen, I don't know if you're expecting anything because I don't know how to respond to that" I ended with a guilty smile, I have no idea why on Earth I feel guilty, but here I am.

"No no Shay..." Her voice is still weakened "I expect nothing, all I want us to be what we always have been, whatever I feel, we're bestfriends and that's not gonna change."

"Yep.." I seconded her "that's never gonna change, we'll not let it." I see a very faint smile of relief as she closed her eyes, still holding my hand. I don't know why, I feel a bit desperate to soothe her with some love.

"Hey" I muttered, she opened her eyes, "Wanna hear my heartbeat?" I asked smiling. I think I can see her eyes dimly lit up. "Are you okay with that?" she whimpered in a faint hope in her voice, god that just pounded my heart!

I smilingly nodded then spaced up beside her, she moved more left to help me lay down. I put my hands forward, gesturing to come. But this time she didn't come immediately, I see her hesitating. "Jen" I softly said, "it's okay honey, come."

That did it. She slowly laid her head on my chest. I've held her like this countless times, but for the first time something weird happened. The moment her head pressed my chest, it struck my nerve, my eyes squeezed shut as I suddenly inhaled and exhaled a long breath quietly out of an unknown sensation! I don't know what that was, but I immediately calmed down cause I don't want Jen to freak out or anything. 

As always- It didn't take long, she is sleeping like a baby on my chest. But I can't sleep. There is a weird feeling in my stomach! 

Is it because she confessed that she is in love with me? Or is it because she admitted that.. well, to put it simply- that she's been sexually attracted to me at times? And now not only she is sleeping on my chest, I am firmly holding her with a love I don't know I had. Whatever it is, it feels... good! 

But, soon I got pretty tired too. In a few minutes my nerves cooled down, I softly kissed on her head and closed my eyes.