39. A Legacy

Jenny's pov:

We all had dinner together in Flint's office a while ago, shelter's treat. Right now I'm sitting with a chonky cat on my lap soaking up all the petting from both me and Shay. 

Speaking of her, Shay has settled down, I think she's feeling much better now, back to being her normal lively self. 

"Well Flint..." She said, "thanks for having us over here today, it um.. it really helped."

Flint: "What can I say, it's your shelter too, everyone you see here.. is family."

Shaylin: "(smiling) Including the animals.."

I stepped in emphasizing "ESPECIALLY the animals!" They both chuckled at me. "Awh" Shay's voice got cutesy looking at the cat on my lap "looks like he really likes you.." then gave some gentle scratches, this cat just is taking every bit of attention he can get. 
.
.
Shaylin: "How long do they have?"

Flint: "A year or so, I'm trying to convince them to grind for a little longer but I'd understand if they can't."

I've listening to their conversation for the past five minutes. So this is the reason he called Shaylin. Basically there are two more shelters in Strawport. But both of them are struggling financially, if it continues for long enough then... they might not be able to operate as no-kill shelters anymore! 

Shaylin: "Are all the shelters connected?"

Flint: "Not officially, I just kept connection with them, it's a small city after all."

Shaylin: "(confused) If they've been no-kill so far, suddenly what happened?"

Flint: "It's not really sudden..."

He hesitated for a second then continued "They've been struggling for years, we're helping them as much as possible but we can only do so much. Sunway Paws is lucky that Callum and Madelyne (Shay's parents) left more than enough for us, and to our GREAT appreciation, you honored their legacy! Or else we might've faced the same fate."

Wait, what does he mean? I'm a little confused but Shay subtly changed the topic "As you said, it's their legacy, but more importantly, you finally reached out to me because..."

Flint: "Yeah, as selfish as it sounds, I just wanted to talk about it, so that you might want to help if you knew about this."

She shook her head saying "It's not selfish at all Flint, if anything I'm grateful that you reached out, at least it brought me back here, and regarding this... we'll be in touch.."

Flint: "Of course, in fact it's all up to you... but Shaylin, it's truly good to see you again!"

Shaylin: "(smiling) Likewise Flint"

We stayed there for a few minutes. Then she said "I guess, we should move today.. it felt good to be back."

"Well, visit whenever you want" he said smilingly "consider this a second home."

Shaylin also smiled nodding. I suddenly realized something. "Uuh guys, I don't think I can move..." I stated in a funny voice. Didn't even realize when the cat fell asleep on my lap! 

"Awwhh" Shay cried out in cuteness, both her and Flint started to laugh while I'm sitting helplessly having a sleeping fluffball on my lap with a stupid expression on my face... Well, at least Shay is laughing, her laughter is just... brightening!  

Shaylin's pov:

We got off the taxi near Finny's to get coffee. Now we're close to our apartment, walking with out hands knotted. 

Jenny: "Um Shay?"  

Me: "Yeah?"

I hesitated for a second then asked "Back in the shelter, Flint said that you honored your parents' legacy. What did he mean? I mean... if you don't want to talk about it..."

"No no" I interrupted her "it's fine, we can talk... Um, what do you know about my inheritance?"

"Mm" She is trying to remember "...that your parents left a lot of money and a mansion to you, and opened some sort of fund source for the shelter, you legally got them when you were 18... that's pretty much.."

"Yeah.." I agreed but I guess she should know. "Thing is, mom and dad didn't leave any definitive will for the shelter, soo... I got all of it after I had turned 18." I smiled at her. 

"Wait.." She realized "that means whatever's funding the shelter..." 

I'm facing down smiling "Yeah, that fund had also turned mine legally, but.. I signed it off to the shelter."

"You..." Jen gaped in shock! "It's as Flint said" I explained "this shelter's my parent's legacy, besides, they left me more than enough." She stayed silent for a few seconds then exclaimed in a breathy voice "never had I imagined I could look up to you even more than I already do!"

"Oh Jen.." I uttered in shyness, her over appreciating voice is flattering me. "As if I don't look up to you" I said shoving her slightly. 

"Huh? Me?" Her confused tone made me chuckle. "Of course YOU.." I said smooshing her cheeks. "When I had a breakdown today, you were there.." I continued "whenever I visit the cemetery, you always come with me and console me.."

I caressed her cheek and said "You make me laugh without even trying, support me without even questioning, you're always there for me but never take any credit.."

"But.." She interrupted me in confusion, her voice is choking up "I never saw it that way, I mean... where else I'll be if not with you?"

I scoffed, this girl is just unreal! "That's the thing Jen.." I said "you're always so hung up on how you're spoiled by me, you never realize that I emotionally depend on you too... so much."

She's just looking at me speechless with tears sparkling in her eyes. I teared up too, then whispered "Just know that I love you more than anything..." 

I wiped both of our tears, leaned our foreheads against each other, then locked ourselves in a gentle kiss!