20. Sweet Prom Memories

Shaylin's pov:

Jen is still laying on my chest, absorbed into my heartbeat sound. Suddenly I remember something, "Hey Jen?"

Jenny: "Yeah?"

Me: "Do you remember our senior prom?"

Jenny: "Of course I do, why?"

Me: "Earlier we were talking about prom dress and stuff, kinda made me remember that day, I don't know why (chuckle)"

Jenny: "Mm (smiles) we made our own prom huh?"

I laughed "well, do you remember how we got to that?" I said, "You were being so annoying....." 

*Senior Prom Flashbacks (6 years ago)*

Shaylin's pov:

"What the fuck do you mean you won't go?" I'm yelling at Jenny. Her place is more flexible to language, Jen's mom swears around us, we do too. "Dude just..." She waves her hand gesturing whatever "leave me alone, I don't like these weird events".

"Ms. Tinsley look" I'm whining to Jenny's mom, "Jenny said before she will go but now she doesn't want to." 

Mother is even more savage than the daughter. "Eh, maybe she couldn't get a date" both have the same monotone voice. "Yep, mom's right" Jen even agreed.

"You two are unbelievable" I shrugged whining. Ms. Tinsley laughed to that. I grabbed Jenny's hands and requested again "Look not everyone has to get date or anything... we can just hang out."

Jenny: "I don't want to..."

Me: "Is it about dress? I can rent you one"

Jenny: "Shay listen..."

Me: "Hey I know this store..."

Jenny lost patience, "SHAY LISTEN" she yelled. That shut me up. 

Even her mom looked at us. "Sorry" She closed her eyes, then opened them at me, "listen, last year I went didn't I? It was boring as fuck".

I asked in a sad voice "So I'm gonna go without my bestfriend?"

I can see her eyes, she's hurt, but somehow managed to say "Shay I just don't feel comfortable, besides I've started practicing java, I wanna keep it up" Her voice is choking up, she grabbed both my arms, softly jerked them and said "You go, have fun with Greg, I'll hear about it tomorrow, okay?" Then she smiled and went to her room.

Ms. Tinsley came to me, wrapped her arm around my shoulder and consoled me "Sorry kiddo, you know how she is" I feel like breaking apart, but didn't want to show it. I smiled at her and said with forced smile "No no it's okay, um, I'll see you later? Bye" I hastily left. Walking to my home, wiping my tears. I know it's hurting Jen more for snapping at me like that. 

*Right before prom*

"Aww look at you" My aunt is taking some photos of me in my prom dress, "you look so beautiful girl, come here" she gives me a hug then wished "have fun".

Greg brought his dad's car, he looks handsome! But I'm sitting quietly, only thing was going in my mind is my interaction with Jen earlier today.

Greg may look like a typical jock, but the boy can sense an environment. "Hey babe, you okay? What up?" He asked. "Um.." I naively told the truth "Jenny isn't coming, now I don't... feel like it." 

He seems a bit annoyed "Hey now girl" she says "ya'll are bestfriends I get that, but you gotta live for yourself ya know?..." he kept talking but I wasn't even listening.

We arrived at the school, I can hear the disco beats from here. Greg looks at me and says "Yeah, guess not my lucky day." 

I looked at him curiously, "Wh..what happened?" He scoffed and said "Still thinking about that bestfriend of yours aren't ya?"

I hesitated at first then confessed "Yeah, sorry Greg, it should be fun night for both of us and I'm ruining it."

"It's already ruined girl" He said "Looks like you ain't gonna enjoy, then why am I here for? Not gonna dance and shit by myself ya know?"

Then he said smiling "Alright fine, go" that kinda shocked me. "Wha.. really?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah, ya now" He waves a whatever gesture "Imma tell the boys that I got sick or some shit, I don't like these dancing anyway." I gave a grateful smile, kissed on his cheek, hugged him tightly for a minute then said "Thanks babe." 

He even drove me close to Jenny's home but not too close because I didn't want her to hear the car noise. I'll walk rest of the way and surprise her. When I said that Greg shook is head, laughed and said "Girl, you're too damn sweet on her". I kissed on his cheek and said goodbye, then started to walk.

Jenny's pov: 

I don't know how many times I cried today, how the hell could I yell at Shay? I'm just sitting on my chair, hugging my knees and my head half-buried between them, listening to some sad electronic songs on phone. Suddenly someone took the earphone off my ears! I got startled, it's Shay!! "Quite the java you're practicing" She jabs at me with a smirk.

Took me a few moments to realize that it's really her! I jumped out of my chair and instantly hugged her. "Ohh.." She had to balance that thrust then laughed. I broke into tears on her shoulder and apologized "Shay I'm so sorry I yelled at you."

"It's ok bestiiee" She said adorably. "I know it hurt you more than me" She said and wiped my tears. I asked "But what about the prom?" 

She took a few minutes to explain what happened with Greg and how she got here. Then she picked up my phone, unplugged the earphones and started to browse something. 

Me: "What're you doing?"

Shaylin: "I'm having my prom one way or another"

Then she smiles at me and said "but I want it with my bestfriend". She started her favorite song on my phone *Got My Heart by Melissa Lamm*

She took my hands into hers for a dance. I'm shaking my head, softly protesting "c'mon". 

"Nope" She won't listen, said stubbornly "you owe me this dance" smiling mischievously, then took my one hand, put it on her waist and her hand on my shoulder, locked our other hands in the dancing pose. We slowly started dancing. I'm acting like annoyed but lowkey LOVING it!

Mom came in my room to put some snacks on the computer table, saw us, laughed then left shaking her head.

"Oh god she saw me dancing" I sound embarrassed, Shay started to laugh "Well, it's kinda cute", I'm shaking my head at her as she kept laughing. Best prom ever for both of us!

We're finally resting our heads on each other's shoulders, still dancing to this track on repeat. I'm not really the one for romantic music but this one makes me fall in love with her even more every time. As I forget about the rest of the world, we keep dancing to it... 

....cuz you can lift me up baby,
when I'm fallin apart,
I'll keep all of your secrets,
you can heal all my scars,
and have I ever mentioned,
I love you from the start,
I got your best intentions,
and you,

you got my heart....