57. Saying Goodbye

Jenny's pov:

I'm staring blank at the church's ceiling. We arrived in Yenville a while ago. A lot of people came, expressed their condolences and still more coming. Uncle Jerry arranged everything, from transportation to the overall funeral. All I'm doing is sitting inside this church with Shaylin. I don't know if I could do anything if she hasn't been here since everything happened...

"Flashbacks - few hours ago" 

"Lunch is on me" Shay said smiling "glad Agnes will join us today." 

"I know right?" I said excitedly, then noticed mom is walking towards us. "Oh hey there she is!" I almost yelled, then we both waved at her, she waved back... wait, what's happening? "MOOMM" I screamed my lungs out as both of us are sprinting to her, she's collapsing clutching on her chest! What the hell...

Right before she fell, we grabbed her. I can't think straight, "MOM.." I'm still screaming, trying to get to her, her stare is blank. A few people quickly gathered and helped us to take her to a bench. Shay already called an ambulence. 
.
.
I'm literally shaking outside of the ICU. Shay's holding onto my hands, trying to keep me normal, she's pretty shaken up herself.

"Jennifer Tinsley" A nurse called my name, standing near the ICU's entrance. We rushed there, upon request she let us both in. 

We took both mom's hands in ours. She responded to our calls, as if it took her a moment to recognize who we are. The moment she did, we saw her smiling at us, I looked at Shay then smiled back at her. Something tells me this is the last time I'm seeing my mother smiling. She put her hands on both our heads as a single tear left from each her eyes, then she closed them.

They let me and Shay out of the ICU, all we could see were the rush of the people in there, and the noises of flatlining...

"Flashbacks end"

They're lowering the coffin. Shaylin's tightly holding me while I'm blankly staring at the burial, still processing how everything happened so quickly. The only thing I could consciously do today is to consent to the burial soon after her death when Uncle Jerry asked me. Aunt Rosie and Ben had arrived with him in the hospital as soon as they could. After mourning together they all tried their best to comfort me. Without their support I would've lost it by now. 

Uncle Jerry arranged everything. He was a dedicated little brother to mom. Aunt Rosie consoled him as much as she could but he cried all the way.

We all poured soil by our own hands as it's a normal custom. There are a LOT of people gathered! I had no idea so many people knew mom! Everyone paid their respect, and almost all of them expressed their condolences to me and my family. Even Shaylin's aunt Greta and cousin Brandom came too. Yes, their heartfelt approaches definitely warmed me, but despite everything, I'd have still fallen apart if it wasn't for Shaylin. 
.
.
Shay and I have been standing in front of the grave since the burial. Everyone slowly left towards Uncle Jerry's home where Aunt Rosie arranged some refreshment. I'm still trying to process... that mom is no more.

"Jen" Shay's soft voice feels like a warm light in this darkness. I looked at her, she hasn't left my side for I don't know how long. She nodded at me with a consoling smile, we should be heading home. I looked back at the tombstone, it says:

In loving memory of:
Agnes Tinsley
A Mother, Sister, Aunt and Friend

We stood there for another few minutes looking at it as I finally mustered enough strength to utter "Goodbye Mom, I'll never forget you."

Rosie's pov: 

The girls finally returned. I suggested Jerry to leave them for a while. Guess it worked, Jenny looks a bit sobered up. The moment she entered everyone turned to her, but subtly, not making her uncomfortable. 

Our neighbor Beatrice and her daughter Annie are helping me with catering to the guests. Agnes was like a big sister to Bea. She cried a lot earlier today. Everyone loved Agnes so much, and their affection is passing down to Jenny. 

I'm also really appreciative of Shaylin. That girl sure LOVES our Jenny, not leaving her alone for once. While passing some sweets, a woman from one of the families from the town asked "Who's the girl with Agnes's kid?"

I answered "That's her girlfriend Shaylin." They muttered something. Then the man, probably the woman's husband, said in a appreciating tone "Well, at least the kid won't have to return to the city alone." Others agreed.

I smiled, even to this day the people from Yenville makes me respect this town even more. I looked at the girls. Yeah, true, Jenny will never be alone. She's the legacy of our sister Agnes. We'll never let her be alone.