8

-Elana Aphelion-

"Elana hurry up! We're gonna be late." Alessio yelled.

"I'm coming!" I quickly strapped my heels on and grabbed my clutch and phone.

I pulled the door open to my room and walked down stairs. Alessio stood at the counter in the kitchen, waiting for me.

He wore his usual attire, a suit, but instead of a tie, he wore a bow tie.

"Okay," I breathed as he turned around, "I'm ready." I looked at him and did a twirl.

"You look beautiful." He smiled. I couldn't help the rush of red that flooded my cheeks. He held out his arm and I hooked mine with his. We walked to his car and drove to the venue.

~

Alessio parked the car and came around to my door and opened it for me. I whispered a thank you as he helped me stand.

I wobbled on the concrete as I adjusted to my heels, Alessio waited for me to fix my dress.

We walked up the driveway of the venue that was decorated in hues of silver and gold. I held his arm tighter as people around us stood closer.

When we entered, the music was elegant and soft. A few people swayed to it on the dance floor.

Dresses of black, gold, silver, any color that seemed elegant, were present. The often occurrence of men in black tuxedos with bow ties.

Servers walked around hold trays of champagne both full bottles and glasses, along with empty ones.

Greetings were spread around, a few people coming up to greet the Don of the Italian mafia.

A female voice erupted behind us, "Figlio mio! È cosi bello rivederti!" My son! So good to see you again!

Alessio turned around to the woman, a smile plastered on his face. He let go of me and wrapped his arms around the bodice of the woman.

She was dressed in a long silver dress, the material looked loose and light as it hung around her body. The wrinkles on her face were faint and almost unnoticeable.

"Ciao mamma! Sto bene! Come stai?" Alessio spoke, his accent heavy. Hello mom! Im good! How are you!

"Sto bene figliolo. Tuo padre è ancora una manciata!" She said. Alessio laughed.

She looked at me and back at Alessio, "Ah, chi è questo? Fidanzata?"

Alessio chuckled and let his head hang for a second, "Sì mamma! Beh, almeno ci stiamo lavorando!" Yes mom! Well, we're working towards it!

I rocked on my heels and waited for something to be addressed to me.

"Ciao mia cara! Sono la madre di Alessio! Lo sei?" The woman held her hand out to me. I looked at her and then back at Alessio. Hello my dear! I am Alessio's mother! You are?

"I'm sorry, I don't speak Italian." I smiled.

"Oh, of course, my apologies, bambina! I am Alessio's mother!" She smiled. My face drained of color yet I kept my smile.

I looked at Alessio as he grinned at our interaction. I shook her hand.

"Hi. I'm Elana Aphelion." I composed the anxiety inside of me.

Why am I nervous? Good question.

"Nice to meet you Elana! My name is Anilita but you can call me Ani." She said in the sweetest tone ever.