Emmas Pov (4)

The next morning, Tuesday. I get ready for school heading downstairs to the kitchen.

I meet mummy Joana in a wobbly singlet and shorts frying eggs. She looks tired with eyebags and I know she didn't sleep at all last night because of that man, altercations with Fred get to her so much. But today is a new day to sulk over the past.

"Morning mum, you didn't catch sleep" she turns and gives me a weak reassuring smile that melts my heart, I walk over to her side and engulf her in a hug, inhaling her fresh orchid-perfumed body.

"I tried my best dear, and you?... I hope yesterday's event didn't keep you up on a school night?" I shake my head indicating I slept fine. Music helped me sleep, I had a playlist filled with my favorite artists both foreign and home, and played them according to my mood.

This morning I woke up with Beyonce's 'flawless' playing in my head so I tuned into it till I got set for school.

Taking a seat across from Mummy Joana, I notice a purple scar on her left arm.

"Did Fred do this to you?!" I bark without knowing I did but the look on her face said it all.

"Emma, he's your father for heaven's sake. Were we ever on first name terms with him?" I sigh stubbornly, was it what mattered to her at this point? that I call him Fred instead of dad.

"It was an accident, you know? I lost balance while chasing after him, he didn't mean to push me, dear. Now eat your food and leave for school. It's your first day" she gestured to the breakfast in front of me.
"Remember what the principal said. We don't want to get into her bad books, she did us a tremendous amount of favor, so don't be late!" She instructs trying to brush off the topic.

I realize that the wailing noise I heard during the fight yesterday was her tripping over.

I lose my appetite at the realization... I just need to leave home, might as well breathe a different air on my way to school, I would mind my business and think less of my distorted family.

That was my naive thought as I walk through the school hallway, everyone busy in their world.

Girls dressed to kill her. Students stride in pairs, the ones who didn't, have bland expressions on their faces making them unapproachable. I need directions to my class.

While I feed my eyes with the foreign beauties around me, I hit someone or rather someone jammed their bloody self into me, dropping my books and accessories.
The clumsy act alone tips off my ever-simmering irritation.

"Are you blind?!!" I whisper-yelled in frustration as I see my lucky ballpoint pen shattered on the floor.

I pick it up but it looks irreparable and my irritation intensifies.

"You've cracked my pen! didn't you notice someone before you or what?!"

"I'm sorry for your biro but you should've also looked properly, you ran into me not the other way round" he affirm.

I looked up for the first time to see whom I collided with and his looks is innocent... And pretty.
Uh, it's weird concluding that a guy is pretty but he looks very fascinating in his varsity red striped jacket and black jeans.

His looks are awesome. I gawk at him in appreciation, noting how his hair is stylishly gelled and shimmery.

He notices me staring and gives a crooked smile, I instantly disguise my embarrassment with a frown recalling my present situation.

"Are you okay? I didn't run into you, you did. This is very important to me even if you get this exact type online you still cannot turn it into a lucky pen!!!" I explain eagerly, extending the pieces before him.