Emma's Pov (36)

My legs dance sideways as we wait for the heavy traffic. We've been on the road for ages without any hope of the traffic getting better. I get fed up and lift my legs on the dashboard. I don't care what Einstein makes of it anymore but to my surprise, he doesn't seem to bother.

I think his mind is somewhere else because he's been biting his lower lip in torture and subsequently blaring his horn at the Mercedes before us. It moved as slow as a snail adding to his frustrations.

I massage my forehead soothing the tension accumulating. My fingers brush over my head. It's a slight scar on my forehead from the fall, barely noticeable yet I could feel it.

It's weird feeling it and knowing that the culprit is beside me.
My gaze slowly lands on him to realize he's watching me with those dark shiny eyes.

My insides tremble, choking on my spit I quickly throw my face to the window. It's a pity he still has this effect on me after all I've been through because of him.
I should snap out of this weirdness around him, I have a boyfriend for God's sake! And his brother at that.

So I finally got to speak with Eric. Surprisingly he picked up, probably because the caller ID was Einstein and a rarity for his brother to call out of the blues.

He made excuses about having a faulty phone and shitty network but he seemed so excited that I'm on my way to Hawaii and gushed over missing me so much. I miss him as well.

I pull out my phone to see the series of texts from Eric. I'm not sure how I missed them. I only realized they were there after throwing tantrums about how he didn't care to call or text. It might really be a network issue.

I sigh in frustration rubbing my scar.

"Why do you keep rubbing at it?" Einstein asks, relaxing his back on the seat.

"What?"

"The thing on your forehead, what's that?" He points at my face.

"It's a scar I got from the fall. When you kicked the ball at me" I specify. His fierce gaze changes and those mesmerizing eyes fall on his lap in regret.

"I didn't mean to hit you hard"

"So you did mean to hit me?" I challenged him.

He doesn't say a word and it irks me so much. I need to know why he despised me so much in the past. At least he owes me an explanation.

"Why?... Why did you do it? Why did you hate me so much? You didn't even know me" I ask hoping he'll finally speak.

Einstein grits his jaw uncomfortably. There was no need to drive further as the traffic got heavier, he shuts the ignition.

"I didn't hate you," he says in a low tone that I can barely hear.

"What?"

"I didn't hate you, Emma!" He speaks louder. "You were the only girl in May blossom high I saw for the first time in a while"

"I don't understand"

"Well... The first time I saw you, you_" he hissed as if he's reminiscing on something.

"You weren't afraid of me, I know I was blinded by rage at the moment but I still felt drawn to you at that first encounter. You called me out in front of my friends and it's been a long time since I had that. All my life I've been surrounded by people who want to be me, people who do as I ask not because it's right. They all kept pushing their way towards me and I was feeling suffocated. I was getting tired of the fakeness. Then you came in that morning, claiming I broke your lucky pen" he sighs.

"A pen" He emphasizes.

"Yeah it was worth it,?" I defend.

"I understand. Then the incident at our house warming party. My frustrations weren't from you, l had a family dilemma from the previous day that set me off. I wasn't really angry at you, you just happened to be at the receiving end of it. I regret those actions so much and I thought you a brave girl but Inasmuch as I admired your braveness, I didn't think it would last"

"Why not?"

"Cos girls pretend a lot. When they want something or someone they pretend. It's not a hidden knowledge that my family is wealthy. I've had friends come in different shapes and caliber just for the money. My suspicions seemed correct when you finally began to hang out with my brother. It's how it always goes. From me to my brother Eric and then they become a leach on the family's name, hard to let go"

"Like Cheryl?" I ask.

"Like Cheryl" he concurs "I was disappointed in you and myself as well when I realized I liked you despite everything, I couldn't purge you outta my head no matter how I tried. I hated that feeling, it felt like betraying oneself. And so I loathed you far more than anyone else I've known. It was a way to stop feeling for you. But It got worse cos the more I repelled you the more you got closer to Eric and you guys started dating" he sighs clenching his fists on the steering wheel.

"I don't know what to say, Einstein"

"You don't have to say anything Em. I understand. I just want you to know why"

My mind zeroing in on several occasions he's been cruel to me. "Is that why you pushed me down in the bathroom?... Because you didn't want to admit how you felt for me?"

He nods in agreement.

"You could have confronted me about it. How am I supposed to know how you felt?"

"I know, I acted so childishly and it's not the best excuse cos you had your problems to face"

"Yeah I did, and your brother came through for me all the time. He cared for me without asking, he even rendered apologies on your behalf and gave silly excuses for you. What was there not to like about him? He never spoke badly about you though"

"It seems that way but I assure you that's not how it is"

"How else is it Einstein? That I got wrapped up in your mess. You aren't the only one with issues to settle," I utter in annoyance. "To think I started feeling something for you back then, I'm so stupid" I beat myself in regret.

"You did?" He asks in painful excitement.

I ignored him hoping the matter would just die down. I've had enough of unraveling the past, I don't want it to haunt me anymore.

"Hey.." he squeezed my hand placed on my lap. "You know I regret every bit of trouble I've caused you right?... And I'll do everything possible to make you forgive me. It's so obvious that my brother had more maturity than I did." He smiles at me.

"Can I see it?" He nudges my face closer to his. His fingers moves up to touch the scar on my forehead. It feels so good, his fingers rubbing against my skin so tenderly. I hold a moan to not embarrass myself.

"I'm sorry" he whispers.

His fingers move tenderly around my scar inspecting every angle to it. They move down to my chubby cheeks, smoothing and rubbing over my skin.

I gulp intensely as I watch his eyes dim with affection, it looks like he'll tear up but I remember that's the way his left eye is.
It's like we're trapped in a bubble. I can barely focus on my breathing as one of his fingers brushed against my lips, pushing them open. I let out a weak moan.

His breath becomes erratic and he's leaning forward, I can feel his breath on my lips, only thin air separates us now. I lean towards him as well wanting to feel his warmth and taste his lips on mine.

It happened, it was going to happen when the blaring of a horn shakes us out of the moment, bursting our bubble.

Einstein starts the ignition and moves us through the free road. Awkwardness fills the air all through.