Emma's Pov (24)

"Morning mum, did you get enough sleep last night? I think I heard you all over the place" I say while rummaging through the fridge for some water.

"Mh I'm fine" she replies in a muffled tone, I didn't think much about it knowing she always has her head filled with something agonizing if it wasn't Fred it was money.

And besides, I don't wanna spark up a conversation that'd remind her I did the most unusual thing by sleeping over at Eric's place without prior notice. I just wanted us to pretend like nothing happened as she did yesterday when I returned home.

My heart was racing when Eric brought me home. I didn't know what to tell mum and how she'd react but Eric assured me several times she understands, well he was right.

"Are we still going over to grandma's?...." I heard nothing, I looked over and she was lost in her thoughts playing with the bowl of cereal before her.

I move over to her and realize she's lost and in tears.

"Are you crying?!" I say aloud to cut her thoughts off, she jerks in surprise wiping her tears repeatedly.

She shakes her head in disapproval.

"Yes you are, why are you crying mum?" I sit next to her at the dinner table.

"I'm fine dear just had debris in my eyes"

"Is it Fred again?... Please just be honest with me this time around. I know you still love him so much and I can never understand how it feels to love someone who doesn't give it back"

"He... he's getting married, he wants to sign the divorce papers, says he can't be visiting us anymore because he's about to marry someone else Em," she sobs looking at me with so much pain that I feel the need to wrap her in a hug and soothe her pain, but.

"Didn't you serve him already? You told me, mum"

"I... I couldn't back then. I lost all courage. What I felt for him then was bitterness, it clouded my judgments but when I saw how volatile he was, I couldn't let him feel such pain, he begged me not to serve him the papers Em. I know you probably hate me for keeping this from you but we didn't want you to have divorced parents at such a young age, we love you Em"

I stand far from her, not wanting to feel her warmth and the lies filtering into my ear.

"Do you?_ Or you were just being selfish! You promised me in all truthfulness that it's the end, that he's finally gonna be out of our ear but... But you connived with him the second he told you those lies about loving you. Is that why he still kept coming over here like he owns this house?"

"No... No Em, it's not that simple do you under_"

"Then explain to me mum!!!!!" I yell so hard that my voice box is threatened.

"Tell me what sort of aphrodisiac dad has on you that the second he walks in you lose all brain nerves, you succumb to his authority like an enslaved woman"

"Emma stop! Don't be rude hun, one day when you fall in love you'll understand so much how I feel"

"Then I don't ever wish to feel love, I don't ever wish to be subdued by my emotions to someone else. Can't you see he's manipulating you, mum?... He doesn't want you to leave him but the minute he finds another woman he's throwing the divorce right in your face. You should have taken the last win long ago!!" I bark, walking up and down in hysteria.

"You should have....." I croak, and the tears find their way down.  "Sometimes I wish I wasn't born to you both or anyone at all cos you're both selfish weaklings who don't care about anybody but yourselves!"