Emma's Pov (58)

Eric and I decided to hangout at a nearby diner after school hours. He didn't seem enthusiastic about the idea when I brought it up. Well, he was gonna drop me off home before I suggested it while Douglas takes a different route.

Eric looks through the window all the way acting disconnected. My mind beats me, maybe he found out about me and his brother or Einstein said something and he's waiting to hear from me.

I swallow hard, flexing my knuckles in uncomfortable silence. But on second thought, Einstein wouldn't dare tell on me and even if he did it's not my fault, I wasn't the one who pushed for the kiss. He owes me an apology for a start.

"What got you all bruised up?" I cut the silence.

"What?" His voice comes off all muffled.

"I mean the black scares and a broken nose? Was it practice?" I ask.

"Uh kinda, rough play" he quickly responds and returns to his beautiful scene.

I roll my eyes and wait till we get to the diner.

I order hot coffee with milk and sugar, Eric doesn't care about the cold he requests for just water. I stare at him in surprise.

"Just water?... Nothing else?" I almost screamed.

His cold eyes stare hard at me.

"What's wrong Eric?... You've been so cold and distant. Is something disturbing you? You can let me know"

The waiter drops off his warm water and a toast for me before I continue.

He palms his face in horror, dragging a long groan before gazing up at me.

"I'm sorry Em, I've just been pretty occupied with football and other stuff. But to be sincere it's not only that's bothering me" he confess

My heart jolts in guilt. And I await his reasons.

"I haven't been honest with you since you woke from coma, I guess I was scared of hurting you again"

"Again?..." I'm stupefied.

"I... Well the truth is that night of your accident, we didn't quarrel over a stupid argument with Cheryl. You didn't run off impulsively because of that but because_"

"Why?...!" I cut in needing him to come out with it.

"I... You thought I was cheating on you with some girl"

"What?!..."

"But that's not true, you just had a hunch and followed it and I was tryna explain everything to you but you wouldn't listen."

"Who was it?" I enquire.

"Some girl, you don't know her"

"Don't play with me Eric, was it Cheryl?"

"No, never! Some random girl from Hawaii. We met at the hotel and kicked it off but when you arrived you thought there was something extra and got furious"

"How sure am I that this isn't another sugar coated lie to please your conscience?"

"If I wanted to calm my conscience then I wouldn't have brought it up at all Em. This is me being considerate of your constant migraines. I have to be sincere to you without hurting you."

"I've been better since, why didn't you say anything all these while? While I've been struggling to remember just a bit of what happened rather you fed me with lies. How do you expect me to believe you now?"

"I know I'm a douchebag, I can't begin to apologize for all the hurt I've caused you by keeping it from you Em, just know one thing, and that's that I love you so much and I'm scared to lose you" he murmurs in a soft tone.