Kendall's Pov (9)

The weekend was so boring. Mum had to continue her part-time job as a nurse at a local clinic, leaving Jordan and me alone throughout the weekend. Sunday nights were her only spare time, and she slept throughout.

I know she's doing everything for us, she wants to support Jordan and me through college, and she wants to make sure that we get the best despite our difficult situation. Since dad was deployed to Africa we never heard from him again.

His regular calls became texts and emails, then silence. It was painful at first, especially for Jordan who adored dad so much and even wanted to follow in his footsteps in the military. He cried at night, he refused to go to school if dad wasn't there to take him.

Jordan used to be a bright student, but after dad left, he sulked a lot and got into fights with his fellow mates at school. He's been suspended a couple of times and the school had to call mum each time.

We've tried switching schools and that's why he isn't attending May blossom high currently, yet things got worse. And this time I'm not close by to watch him to make sure he doesn't get into fights or skip classes.

I feel like Carmen my mom is already tired of him as it seems because she leaves everything about Jordan to my care. She just gives me a set of instructions and leaves for work and when she gets home it's the same.

Her deepest concern now is money.

Not that she's materialistic or something, our rent is about to expire and the hospital she's working at has been in debt, as well as owning their workers salaries of close to six months.

And because she has no other option she stuck around hoping that one day their hospital would come out of the debt and hand them their pay. It will solve a lot, it will bring mum out of her countless debts too and be enough for us to manage till whenever dad comes home.

I'm lucky to be able to afford my school, though dad's influence isn't disregarded as it is his reputation that earned us a soft spot in the eyes of the school board which by the way gave me a full scholarship when dad disappeared.

At that time of our lives, things were so difficult. Landon offered to help too knowing how influential his father is. But I didn't want that. I didn't need pity as part of our friendship goals. And thank heavens he let it go.

Speaking of Landon, I'm on my way on a Monday afternoon to our school track field carrying his duffel bag which he texted me to fetch from his locker. I wonder why someone would forget their most basic stuff while heading for practice.

As I round the corner, I approach the entrance to the field and spot him on the track doing some laps. He's all sweaty and his herculean muscles popping out of his cloth.

I admire him, in my head I'm making mental images of us being the power couple of May blossom high. Getting into college as sweethearts then once we graduate we'll get married and have lots of kids in a decent neighborhood, but I still want Landon to achieve his long time dream of being a national athlete, a gold medalist.

It's been a huge fight between him and Mr. Brookes who wants his son to do his bidding and become a business manager like him and grandad.

"Hey, thanks for the bag K" Landon gasps, planting his hands on his knees for a breather.

I'm pull out of my reverie as I hand him the bag, making sure our fingers don't brush against each other.
I know it sounds silly but I'm used to him and I know what and what not to avoid when it comes to Landon.

"Smart you huh?" he teases, knowing I can never forget his tactics of pulling me down once our hands touch, then I'll angrily chase him around the tracks which is a win for him and a loss for me.