Mindy's pov (60)

MINDY BROOKES

~~~~~~

It's so darn quiet here in the library, in about forty minutes I'll be putting down every damn thing I've learnt since the beginning of the term within one day, that's unfair.
It's finally exam and I can't wait to get it over with.

Skipping through chapters from my Eco text book and arriving at nothing, I wonder if we're gonna be allowed to sit with our favorites this time. Landon Brookes was always my savior but I doubt if his head is in the right place since the beginning of term, he's been pretty occupied with girls, racing and partying. It's a surprise a professional like him drinks.

Damn it! I've gotta concentrate.

I peel my eyes on the textbook and it's all gibberish. I grunt in frustration, shutting the book with a thud. A girl in glasses stares at me with displeasure, I roll my eyes at her walking over to the shelf probably to find something more comprehensive, the big grammar wasn't sitting well with me. To think I'm half Asian, a race known for producing mathematical gurus, innovative geeks and the rest of them, I wonder which of my parents I got my locked brains from.

In the first place I didn't like school, it was an obligation I had to fulfill as a child. What interests me more is my vlog, it was the life I wanted to live, seeing people and events through my lens, capturing every great and dull moment and making it into a fun thing. But that too has been taken away from me, so now I'm just a sulking high schooler unsure of what's next.

Electra appears by my side unnoticed.

"What you creep?! You tryna scare me?"

"I'm sorry, this is the library and I didn't wanna make a sound"

"You're talking right?" I emphasize, furrowing my brows.

"Oh well, that one is inevitable. Well principal Habril wants you in her office now!"

I raised a brow in wonder, I was about to ask why but she already took off.

***
"This is detective Monroe and he has some questions for you" Principal Habril says, ushering me to the ante room alongside the fearsome looking man.

"Why am I here?" I ask confidently but deep down I'm beginning to tremble.

The detective places photos on the large table, I recognize one in particular, Yvonne had threatened me with it. Screw her!

"Do you recognize anyone here?" The deceptive asks.

I bite my lower lip refusing to say a word.

"Ms. You can speak"

"I'm not saying anything not until you get my lawyer"

"This isn't a police interrogation, actually we've confirmed it is you at an adult club in Hawaii. How did you manage to sneak in?" His tone was almost condescending, like he was enjoying torturing me.

I filter the words in my head, searching for the best thing to say.

"That's beside the point, anybody can get their way inside there if they mean to"

"No, certainly not this particular club. You'll have to have a stronger connection"

I chuckle dryly. Who does he think he is?.

"There's someone else with you who's that?... An adult?" He persists.

"Or a minor like you?"

"If you're getting me to rat on my friends then you've got to be joking" I say, folding my arms in quiet calm.

"Your friend Chelsea is one of them, I know" he adds when he sees how stoned my expression got.

"But the problem is, there was a massive shooting at that time which is being investigated so if you don't give us something to help clear your name and your friends name I'm sorry to say, you'll have to be taken to our station for questioning then. We can't agree you guys had no hand in what happened"

"We didn't shoot anybody!"

"But you might be accomplices"

"No! We weren't."

"So Ms. Give me a name" he whispers.

There's something about him that pleads me to just say it all and get over it. Might be his hard stance on the matter or just his charisma.

"Philip Ryder, he took us there"

"Your classmate?"

"What else would he be?. Said it was his cousin's thingy but I never wondered why he didn't invite his Male friends, just us two and some random female faces"

"Would you recognize those girls if you saw them?"

"I can't"

He clicks his pen on the table moving his jaw side to side in thought.

"What will happen to me?"

"Until the investigations are done, I'll say you're not a suspect yet but you have a penalty of $250 fine, 24-30 hrs community service and your driver's license if you have one, will be suspended. If you don't, you'll have to wait an extra year to get one."

I shudder in fear. Was I born to do community service?

As I sat for my exam, nothing really mattered to me anymore except the cocky expression on Yvys stupid face when I walked in. That walk of shame.

She knew, she told on me that bitch.

I rinse my face in the sink wiping it with a towel, Chelsea barges in on me with a sorry face.

"Mindy, I'm sorry. I was so scared of him and told him everything I knew. Maybe that would make him let us go"

"You mean let you go" I correct.

"You know I didn't do it for myself, I never would!"

"Really?... I held my tongue unlike you! He pushed me too but I didn't budge"

"You know I'm not fearless like you Mindy, I get so scared when things go down hill_"

"And that's the reason why I shouldn't have invited you that night! You were wasted and I had to drag you home. You're such a liability to me Chels, no wonder Yvy ditched you"

"You're being so mean," she whispers.

Yvy walks in on us in the restroom with Jessica behind.

"Yo look who we have here. Queen Mindy and her lapdog!" She announces.

"I see yours is learning to fit in properly" I retort, gesturing to the expensive wear Jess is putting on.
It can only be Yvys handwork, she loves to do that, borrow people her things, give you a taste of what she has but never lets you off her hook. I'm glad I wasn't desperate enough to be tossed around like the rest.

Yvonne moves closer to me in two strides. "I see you haven't learnt your lessons yet. Oh wait you haven't begun your community service that'll be an early Christmas present"

"We might as well tip you to clean our environments as well" Jess supports behind.

"You really are so shallow minded. You think everything is about power?" I ask

"If it isn't about that then what else would make you wanna stab my back, snatch my friends and fame just to be in my bad books Mindy Brookes? Huh?" I can feel her breath on my skin at this point. She's daring me, pushing at my patience but I will not fall to her trap.

After what felt like an hour stare down, I finally walked out on her and her toxicity. Chelsea doesn't follow, I hear her shuddering voice begging for forgiveness and I hate myself indeed.

Judas...
.
.
.
.
NB: Tag at least five people under this comment section 🙏🏼 it's the little you can do to show appreciation for this beautiful story.