Jessica's Pov (6)

I check my phone for the umpteenth time to be sure I didn't miss a message, any message at all. I'm slowly dying for a message from Landon if for nothing, to at least acknowledge me as his girlfriend, yet nothing. I sigh dejectedly.

Since his return to school on Tuesday, we've barely had time to talk about our relationship or even act like we were a couple and I had so many plans for us.

"Is everything okay?" Kenny asks, placing her dirty clothes inside a basket. I watch her flex her biceps in the process wondering how she made girly activities look manly.

She didn't have massive muscles like a guy, she just doesn't have enough girly features, no boobs, no ass to compliment.
Sincerely sometimes I get embarrassed being around her. It irks me that someone with such height, wonderful skin, and thick brows could still be unattractive even when surrounded by the most handsome guys, guys like Landon.

"Landon hasn't texted me today, he promised to do that every day" I hiss.

I observe her face for anything at all, Kenny was good with masking her feelings even her best friend knew nothing of the girl she was. I watch her pack her dirty clothes consisting mainly of joggers, hoodies, polos, and the rest, not a single skirt was included.

"You can call him instead since a relationship is a two-sided thing" she offers sincerely.

"Never! it'll seem like I'm desperate and I don't want that. I want Landon to woo me every day and I'll make sure of that" I feel tingles on my toe just by the mere thought of having him run after me for keepsake.

It felt like the greatest gift ever when Landon asked me out, though I've been anticipating it the last few weeks of summer vacation. We got so close that we shared past relationship experiences and fantasies. I made sure to always call and text him and it worked.

My phone buzzes beside me and I'm spread out on Kenny's bed with the ceiling fan rotating effortlessly.

My eyes pop out of their socket when I see who messaged me.

"Oh my God, Kenny! Yvonne just messaged me on Facebook. Can you believe that?!"

"Really? What does she want from you?" Kenny asks.

I stand on my knee amazed at how Kenny could turn into a Debbie downer in a second.

"What do you mean? She wants to be friends with me. Is it so unbelievable?"

"I'm not saying that Jess, you never liked Yvonne for any reason— you and I... You hate her guts and how she looks down on people like us, remember? Besides, do you know if it's because of Landon she wants to be friends with you" Kenny said, pulling out her dirty sneakers from the top of the wardrobe, avoiding my gaze.

"l know Yvy and I never liked each other but Kenny, people change and it's not because she didn't choose us to be in her clique that we should suddenly condemn her" I emphasize with hope.

"I've spoken with her these past few days of resumption and she's so cool" I try to convince my friend, giving off a wide smile knowing Kenny has no likeness for Yvonne but I don't want that to affect our friendship.
Deep down I've craved so much to be friends with the affluent classy girls in our grade so I have to convince Kenny to chill.

"And it's only because you're dating Landon who is her ex!" she states firmly, the reserved Kenny gone and a bold blunt girl stood before me for a while before carrying her laundry downstairs, and at that, I frown.

How can someone you belittle make you fear them at the same time? Kenny may look fragile and timid but can be fearsome sometimes. It feels like she hid more than she said but she wasn't going to fool me like the rest.