Kendall's Pov (17)

"You've been avoiding me"

"No, I've not"

"Yes you have K, and before you say another word please remember I'm your best friend and I know you, I know when something's not right. Like the times with my exes. Is it Jessica this time?" Landon presses, his large hands wrapped around mine.

"No!... It's not Jessica, it's nothing really" I deny, but how does he expect me to put it out there without feeling vulnerable?

"Did Yvy come at you again? If she did just say and I'll have her in the principal's office in no time, I swear Kendal"

Oh, shoot! He's calling me by my full name, it only means he's damn serious. I know Landon doesn't make empty threats, it won't be the first time he's been on my matter.

"It's home actually" I lie, well not totally, after Mikey's visit my mood veered off, especially when I learned the truth about what mum has been keeping from us all these years and had me resentment Mikey.
Not that he's not to blame for leaving us like that.

"Did Jordan get into a fight at school again?" Landon is watching me with so much emotion that I've missed, I want to prolong the moment and savor this electrifying attention he's showering me.

There's no Jessica to disturb us, no practice to run off to, and no students hovering around in the track field because we ditched a period.

Apparently, he caught me while I was about to re-enter the class, he dragged me down to this empty quiet spot. I'm happy he did.

"Mikey came home," I announce.

"Finally!!" he exclaims, excited.

"With a pregnant fiancee," I can't resist to add. Landon is looking at me with shock and an open mouth. His hands fall to the side, freeing mine.

I laugh so hard that tears are about to pour.

"If I had my phone with me, I would've captured your look right now, its raresome"

"Isn't he like two years older than you?"

"No four... Prince comes before me" I mumble, finding it difficult to mention his name.

"Oh God, I totally forgot K, I'm so sorry" he groans and pulls his hair in frustration.

"It's not your fault, sometimes I just remember I forgot him too and I feel anger in me for being so unfaithful"

"Me too, he used to be such a handsome boy, I was jealous of his looks back then because he had all the attention to himself," Landon recalls with a distant look on his face.

"Mum lied about him, did you know?" I start shoving my dirty sneakers into the cement.

"What happened?"

"He didn't just die from being asthmatic... He_he..." My voice trembles, my eyes sting with punished tears. I want to wail, I want to scream atop a hill till my voice gives out, until someone cuddles me to silence, but I can't.

It's not like I'm not used to Yvonne and her crew throwing shades at me to my front but I felt shitty and want to shed tears for some other reasons too.

"Hey K, come here" his arms are inviting me for a hug, a comfortable healing hug, I lean in.

He soothes my back and whispers multiple gibberish in my ear. I'm not concentrating at the moment because I've missed him, this, us—in fact life before girlfriends and exes. Landon was the only one I wanted to hug me.

"He overdosed and died that night, Landon" I whisper in his arms.

"And mum and dad thought it was Mikey's fault for not looking after him while they were out. They had Mikey sent to Juvenile afterward, that's why he started acting up then. I didn't know" I whisper in tears.