Kendall's Pov (54)

After the police got involved in my brothers case. It took two days to find him.
Jordan was found in a ghetto area, hawking some of his clothes and foot wears to be able to mop up money for his travel as he claimed.

Well, actually he wasn't doing it alone, it was impossible for a ten year old to pull off such stunts in a dangerous area.
The police reported he's been visiting a particular man there who promised to help him make some money. Turns out he's an old crack head.

I'm happy he's back and safe and mum doesn't have to stay up all night crying.

"I better get back inside since it's almost eight thirty" I say checking my watch. We were supposed to have a family meeting tonight.

King came around in the evening wanting to talk after giving me the cold shoulder for two days. I didn't hold it against him, I understand he's hurt and needs space.

"Oh, alright then. Do you wanna hangout tomorrow after classes?" He suggests.

I hesitate, not wanting to give him the wrong notion that we're back together. "I'm not sure... I might be occupied" I lie.

"Kenny... Why are you being like this? I mean you literally owe me an apology but I'm not counting that anymore. Let's just get back to how we used to be" he pleads, holding my hands.

I struggle to let free. "King_ it's not that simple anymore"

"Why not?... I'm sorry I took things too far and blamed you for cheating without being sure. I might as well be the stupidest boyfriend ever but please let it pass. I got us a ticket to the front row at my mum's live show. We can fly first class if you want?" He pressures, seeming desperate to appease me.

Only that I don't need appeasing, he did nothing wrong but I have to tell myself the truth. I don't love King as much as I pretend to and I have to stop pretending for once.

My phone beeps with a message from mum reminding me it's time.

I use that as an excuse and rush off.

><{{{(•>

"I want to take this time out to apologize to you guys, I've been an inattentive parent, trying to work my ass of for money while neglecting the important thing. And Jordan is at the point where he needs me as both a mother and father figure. Kendal you're at the point where you need my motherly assistance in your transition from teenagehood to adulthood and likewise college. Mikey..." She shudders.

"It's painful to say I've missed every delicate point with you and I'm sorry. I don't know how to make up for that. But I'm quitting my job"

"What? What are we gonna feed on?" I ask shocked.

"Not all of them though. I'm still a nurse at the hospital. I want to be there for you guys now" she cuddles a stoic Jordan by her side rubbing his back.

"Mum?" He says.

"Yes my boy"

"Would you tell us about Dad?"

Mum looks at Mikey and me, contemplating on what to do next. I guess the need to be more attentive took over.

"Our marriage was a happy one. The type you'd never guess would go wrong because your dad was everything I wanted in a man. He was dedicated to what and whomever he loved which was a good thing. But I couldn't see how more dedicated he was to his country than his family until he accepted the deployment letter. I wasn't angry he did, I was just disappointed it was at the time we lost Prince. I would ask myself why he chose that moment to leave, why he didn't stay back and console me in my agony. But I never realized he too was running from the pain. He subconsciously became cold and the distance wasn't helping" I watch mum narrate the story with all the stressful dark circles evident in her eyes.

All I could see is a woman struggling to prove she didn't need a man to keep her family together. Fighting not to break down when her partner deserted her.

"I wrote letters, I made calls and even saved up to go find him at least he'd tell me to my face why he's the only one in his batch yet to return back to base. His friends, all of them returned except for him. They wouldn't tell me why"

"Why?" Jordan inquires.

Mum taps on the envelope on the glass table. That's when I notice it has been there since.

The divorce papers...

"What's that?" Mikey picks it up and tears it open.

"He's married?!" He louds in shock.

Mum nods hesitantly.
"Dad is married to someone else?" Jordan innocent voice says.

"Fuck shit!!!" Mikey flings the paper over his head littering the room.

"Hey! Words please" mum cautions.

"Is this how dad's gon treat us? Like we don't matter shit to him mum?!!" Mikey stands in full length fuming.

"Mikey... Mikey calm down" mum says.

"Calm down?!... How long have you known this ma?"

"Few weeks back. It's not been long. It doesn't matter anymore cos we've been surviving without him okay?"

I see Jordan rush behind the couch were the papers were littered. He picks them up and reads through. I'm not so sure he'll grab anything from it though but he tears the paper in pieces and runs upstairs.

"Jordan!!" I yell rushing after him while mum and Mikey sort out things downstairs.

"Jordan... Hey" I sit beside him on his bed.
His tiny body shivering from his silent cry.

"It's alright, it's gonna be fine dear"

He raises his tear filled face to me. "Mikey was right. I'm a fool for trying to sell my best shoes to go to dad. He doesn't deserve my loyalty. He's a bad man!!" He yells shedding more tears.

"That's not true, you're not a fool. You wanted to see dad and it's not a bad thing. It's just dangerous out there and you shouldn't have been hanging out with such people."

"But why does dad wanna break up with mum? Is she not good enough for him. Doesn't he love her and us?"

"I don't know J, but I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt us intentionally. Though he did" I shrug. "It doesn't matter anymore cos we've been happy without him all these while. We should focus on making mum happy she's getting it worse than us."

"Mum would never leave us right?"

"Never! She'll stay with us no matter what."

I watch him stare at nothing, his mind working things out. Jordan's smarter than he looks.
"I hate dad!!" He spites.

"Me too"

><{{{(•>

Awwn poor Jordan.
How do you see this chapter?