Chapter 4: A Helping Hand Part 3

"Huh? A part-time job?"

"Yes. I'm actually looking for one. Do you have any suggestions?"

Certainly this was not the topic that you were expecting to discuss once Rei called you to meet up with her on that day. It's only been a few weeks since you two became friends, yet she already is full of surprises.

The two of you were walking home together after another ordinary school day had ended, and her words made you think that this was the reason why she looks so serious these past few days. Regardless, this got you curious about it.

"Sure I can help you with it. Still, I have to ask you this if I may. Do you need it to earn some extra income for yourself?" You asked her, and she immediately saw your worried expression afterwards.

To your surprise, she simply smiled at you in return, hinting that she has other reasons.

"There's nothing for you to be worried about, Y/N. I'm doing fine, and my parents always made sure to provide for me when I ask them, and there are times when they give me more than what I need, which makes me happy and grateful to them."

"Okay then. But you still didn't answer my question though."

"The reason why I wanted to have a part time job  is because I simply wanted to know what it's like to have one, for I always wanted to try and do a lot of things that a lot of ordinary people do every single day. Simply put, it's the experience that counts for me, and I'm always looking for any opportunities once it comes by."

"I understand. Judging by what you said just now, you already did a good number of part-time jobs before, yes?"

"Mhm. I worked as a cash register at a convenience store just a few months ago, and before that, I also worked for a ramyeon house as well. Both of those jobs were really fun and interesting in my opinion."

"I'm glad to hear that. As long as you're having fun and not overworking yourself, then I guess it's fine for you to look for another one." You said to her, as she heartily agreed in reply, feeling glad that you understood her as well.

For this, you managed to see another side of Rei, one that even you did not expect from her. Your initial impression of her is that she's simply a normal and quiet girl who lives her everyday life in a very simple but fulfilling manner. But now, your opinion of her has indeed changed.

Now you know exactly why you saw her looking at the various job posters while the two of you are waiting for the train to arrive, which she has been doing for about a week. Even though you find her reasons to be plain and straightforward, you have to admire her diligence.

After all, a person of your age who is not afraid to gain more knowledge and insight outside the campus halls is always an admirable thing.

"All right. I think I can help you this time, Rei-chan. But you'll have to wait until tomorrow for it. Meet me at the school gates after class, and I promise that I won't keep you waiting. Well, even if I did, I'm confident that it's definitely worth your time. All you need to do is to be ready for an interview, as she tends to have a very high standard when it comes to hiring potential employees. Are you up for it?"

"I don't really understand, but I trust you. Sure I can wait for you tomorrow, Y/N."

"Then it's settled then. I'm certain that you're going to love working there." You assured her, as the two of you went on to talk about other things before you part ways.

True to your word, you met up with Rei the next day. You expect her to be nervous after you mentioned an interview the day prior, but the look on her face once you saw her says otherwise. It's a good sign that she's mentally prepared for the interview, and her being able to work on previous part-time jobs may be a good reason why she's feeling that way.