Chapter 28: On Love Lane Part 3

In the days that followed after you accepted Yujin's challenge, you took it upon yourself to somehow prepare for it as much as you can.

Still, it's true that no matter what kind of preparations you make, there's a very high chance that she will be able to beat you in a straight up race at the park.

Granted, you were neither out of shape nor fit enough to go toe to toe against a real athlete like her, but there's no harm in trying to.

Like she said, there's always the chance that you might pull off an upset, and that you're counting on that to happen.

But even if it won't, you promised yourself that you will gracefully accept defeat.

After all, you are a gentleman, and being so means that there's nothing wrong when it comes to losing against a girl.

Clinging on to your resolve that you'll do your best no matter what, along with the prize of a big hint to the game as your inspiration, you are now ready to test yourself against Yujin.

With that, the day finally came at last, with you having arrived at the park earlier than she did, as you saw no sign of her yet.

"I never thought I would be here much earlier than Yujin-ah. Heh, I hope that this is a good sign that something good will happen to me today." You thought, as you took a moment to gaze at the beautiful sunrise from above.

After a bit of waiting, you then decided to take a seat near to where the meeting place should be, which is right near the fountain square.

Fortunately, it didn't take long for your opponent to arrive a couple of minutes after, with you chuckling upon seeing her rushing towards you.

"Sorry for making you wait, Y/N. I wasn't able to wake up on time, so I kind of rushed to get here."

"That alright, Yujin-ah. But let me guess. It's because you failed to wake up at the sound of your alarm clock again, am I right?"

"Huh? How did you know?" She asked, all the while feeling surprised that you were able to guess the reason correctly.

"Looks like I was right then. Gaeul and Wonyoung told me about that habit of yours a while back, and it seems that you're still not a morning person." You replied, giving her a chuckle afterwards.

"Hehe, well you're right. It's not really befitting the image of an athlete, does it? I guess I need to work on that as soon as possible. But that aside, I'm here now, so don't think that I'm not in top form today, Y/N. Just like I told you, I'm always ready to face a challenge."

"You really are that confident, aren't you? Then again, there's a good reason why you should feel like that. To be honest, I'm not really sure if I can provide a decent competition for you today, so please go easy on me." You pleaded.

"No can do, Y/N. I gave you a promise to give it my all against you a few days ago, and I intend to keep my word. That's why I expect you to do the same. Come on, there's a good prize on the line with your name on it. All you have to do is to prove to me that you deserve to have it."

If anything, Yujin really does have her own unique way of instilling confidence in others, which is a clear sign of how much she had matured compared to when you met her the first time. This was enough for you to feel a bit proud knowing that you were able to witness her change from the very start.

"Okay. Thanks for the encouraging words, Yujin. I shouldn't have thought like that. Regardless of the outcome of our little match today, I'll be alright knowing that I did my best. I'm ready now."