Chapter 7: Equations Of The Heart, Part 2

Your first meeting with Jiwon can be pretty much described in two words: peculiar and unexpected.

After all, someone who has a personality like hers can be quite a handful to talk to, more so since she's always in her own world.

Add to the fact that she tends to spend most of her time at school dwelling inside her own personal space that is the science lab. That's right. She pretty much occupies that part of the school which forced the higher-ups to create another for everyone to use.

Now then, you're probably wondering by now as to why the principal is willing to go to such lengths just for her own privilege. Well there's a very reasonable explanation to that.

Kim Jiwon is actually one of your school's most valued students, as her intellect alone has garnered a great amount of prestige just by being a part of the student body.

The word smart is not enough to describe her capabilities, as the word "genius" is the more preferable term. Her fame and intellect is widely known amongst the many schools all over Seoul, so it's no wonder how elated the administrators were when her parents chose your school to further her education.

As one who excels in mathematics and sciences, Jiwon had already proven herself plenty of times during her first year. Her accolades include a first prize win at the National Science Fair, a championship from a Math quiz bee, as well as an achievement award from the local government after they read her research towards the innovation of the city's water purification system, just to name a few.

Having all these achievements had already cemented her reputation as one of the brightest students of her generation, and it's only natural for everyone to be excited about what else she could accomplish in the future.

However, even a person of her caliber has its downsides, and Jiwon herself knows it.

Because of her talent, a good number of her fellow schoolmates were jealous, and this prevented her from making any friends with anyone.

Of course, she tried to hide her loneliness by isolating herself from everyone else, choosing to remain at the Science Lab for the rest of the day while busying herself with anything that she could think of.

Boring, dull, geek, dweeb, know-it-all. These are just a few of the words they use to describe her, and this was more than enough for her to shut herself away from them.

You still remember that one time when you heard a couple of students talking about her in the school corridor, and it made you sad to hear them ridicule her behind her back like it's an everyday thing for them. You felt disappointed at the kind of attitude they displayed, for you believe that no one deserves to be ridiculed like that, even if that person is a complete stranger to you.

Their actions made you spend the rest of that afternoon thinking about what Jiwon might have felt if she heard that, though it is obvious that she'll be hurt by it. For this, not even you didn't know that your concerns were already a clear hint which will lead you into an unexpected encounter with the genius herself.

"All right, let's see here. The title of the book is Beyond The Stars: The Legacy of Nicolaus Copernicus. I'll ask the librarian first." You thought, as you went towards the librarian's desk to see if the book is available to read.

Luckily, she said that it's in the astronomy section, which was good news for you indeed. As usual, your "favorite" teacher, Ms. Kwon, gave you another daunting task which requires you to make a book report on the subject. While online research may seem to be the easier way to go about it, you figured that despite such convenience, it would be better to do it in a more traditional manner. Even you would admit that visiting a library and reading a real book would be a good thing to do every once in a while, though your reasons for going there that day are different.