You and I

The bell rang and Ari was finally free to leave the school for the day, she picked up her books and left the classroom, headed towards the dorms. She couldn't wait to go shopping with Shoto, anything to get away from-

"Ari, hey wait up." Too late. Kirishima came running up to her, his hand gently on her shoulder to keep her from moving too fast. He quickly removed it, reminding himself she didn't like to be touched. "Hey, I was wondering if you could help me understand this book we're reading. You seem to be an expert on the story."

Arinna studied his face for a minute, why wasn't he angry with her? Anyone else would be. "I'm busy at the moment but come to me when you have any questions." She told him.

"Thanks. I'm not very good at English. This would help a lot." He smiled at her gratefully. Ari couldn't help but return the smile this time, his grin was just too dazzling."I'll see you later, Ejiro."

"See you." He watched her leave the hallway, counting himself lucky that she allowed him to speak to her, even if it was for a little bit. Progress. Ari hopped up the steps to the front doors and into her room where she changed quickly into some black leggings and cheetah print sweater. She loosened her door to see Shoto about to knock, he looked surprised.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Of course. Let's go." They left the dormitories and off the campus. Kirishima spotted them walking together, laughing. Now that was something different, since when did she get chummy with him? He shook his head of the jealousy filling his mind and continued to walk to the dorms.

"So, how long have you been homeschooled?" Shoto asked as he opened the door for her. She smiled at the kind gesture and walked in with him, looking through the isles of food. "All of my life." She found a bag of rice and placed it in her basket.

"So, you've been by yourself all of this time?" He looked at her curiously.

"Yeah. My Dad never liked the outside world that much. He just wanted me safe." She shrugged, playing it off.

"You never had any friends?"

"No. You're one of my first ones." She took a few packages of food she liked off the shelf, adding them to her haul.

"I get it." He told her, Ari looked up at him. "My father was pretty hard on me too. He kept me away from my siblings so he could train me up to be a hero. Sometimes he would get abusive."

"I'm sorry, Shoto." She knew she felt some sort of connection with him. Half of her found comfort in knowing she wasn't alone anymore, the other half hated that he endured trauma.

"Yeah..." he approached her, looking at the shelf with her. "So, what is your tale of woe?" He asked her. She didn't expect that question, she looked at him a little shocked. "I know a traumatized soul when I see it."

"Well spotted." She gulped, did she have to confess? Did she have to share? Shoto waited for her response and she looked down. "I had my heart broken by a guy...he was abusive too." She pushed back the tears that tried to gloss her eyes. It wasn't the full truth but it was enough for Shoto to hug her sweetly. He didn't need to hear anymore. Ari expected to freak out when he touched her but the connection she already had with him relaxed her, hugging him back. "I hope one day you'll have the strength to tell me more." He let go of her to look at her eyes. "I hope that we become good friends."

"Oh, I think we already are. You and I are going to get along just fine."

Shoto's face lit up with a pearly smile, something he rarely showed to anyone. "I'm glad to hear that."

They finished their shopping and paid the clerk before they headed back to UA. The night started to darken, pinks and purples painted the clouds as the sun started to set. "What was his name?" He asked, cutting the silence with his tongue. She glanced at him as they walked, "Who?"

"Your ex? What was his name?"

She shook her head of the memories flooding back to her brain, she could still feel his hands upon her skin...would they ever go away? Her thousand yard stare kicked in and Shoto looked at her worried, "Ari." He spoke softly to her. Her eyes shifted back to him, her attention realigned again, "His name was Isaiah."

He nodded and then looked at her apologetically, "I'm sorry if I went past your boundaries." He told her, his heart hoping that he didn't make her feel uncomfortable.

"It's okay. You can ask me anything." She tried to smooth over his concern. She needed a friend like him. "People like us need to stay close anyways."

"Agreed." He offered his arm like a proper gentleman and she looped hers through as he walked with her protectively the rest of the way back to the dorms. Ejiro noticed that she had come home and rushed away from the window he was sitting at. There they were, Shoto and Ari walking arm in arm. This was all confusing, she didn't like to be touched.

He had finally figured out the problem, it was him. She didn't like him. Why else would she be so close to Icy Hot right now? It made no sense. Was there something he said or did before the incident that made her so standoffish with him? No, there was nothing. Ejiro just left for his room, he should be at least a little happy for her that she found someone to be around comfortably. He secretly wished it was him though. Maybe his task to get close to her was just in vain. Maybe he was being selfish.