A Chance

Shoto and Ari made dinner together, sitting down to have a plate at the kitchen counter. "I didn't know you could paint." He smiled at her. "So all of those paintings in your room, they're all yours?"

"Correct." She took a bite of her rice. "I've been thinking of making a portrait of every student here so they can hang it on their doors."

"That sounds fun." He replied, sipping his water. "Make sure you make me look more buff than I really am, okay?" He joked.

"You don't need to be buff, you quirk is strong for you."

"This rice you've made is incredible. What did you call it?" He asked, earing his lat bite. 

"Risotto. It's an Italian take on rice."

"You paint, cook and you're beautifully cultured. Is there anything you can't do?" He asked taking the dishes to the sink. 

"I can't fly." She joked. "But who needs wings when you have claws."

"A Lioness. Now there's a quirk. It must feel amazing to leap like a cat."

"Yeah, it feels pretty good. I love my quirk. Sometimes it goes haywire but other than that."

Her words sparked his interest. Haywire? "What do you mean by that?" He asked.

"I can't change back into a human when I'm angry. I stay that way until I've simmered down."

"Oh, so that's your drawback." He deduced.

"Yeah." She nodded. The kitchen was silent, everyone was either on the couch watching a movie or in their rooms. They were the only ones who hung back to talk privately, "My mom..." he spoke. "She gave me this scar." He pointed to the reddish spot over his eye.

"Your mom was abusive too?"

"Not exactly. She was the product of abuse. I forgave her." He shrugged. "What about your mom?"

"I never met her. She had me and then ran off. Not even my Dad wants to talk about her."

"Ouch. Why did she leave?"

"From what my Dad told me, it's because she didn't feel free enough. She decided to leave my Dad so he raised me by himself."

"Is he a good father, at least?" He asked. 

"Oh yes. He's a little too protective but he'd give me the whole world if I wanted it. I know he loves me."

"Good." He was happy that she had at least one parent that loved her enough through her tough times. He didn't want her to feel the heartbreaking absence of a father. Shoto really liked Ari, they were like kindred spirits. He found comfort in her and it was nice to finally have a good friend he could bear all with and know that everything would be locked up afterwards.

Ari finished her plate and yawned, "No." she pouted. "I don't want to go to bed yet. I'm having such a nice time." She rubbed her eyes. Shoto smiled and helped her off the chair.  "I think it's Ari's bed time." He teased.

"No. I want to stay up. This is the best night I've had in a while."

"Come on, Bed time." He led her to her door. "Good night, Arinna. I'll see you in the morning."

"Night." She gave him a friendly hug before she left him in the hallway. Shoto felt a little tired himself and walked to his own room to sleep.

Ari changed into her pajamas and washed her face, getting ready for bed. Before she could even think about sleeping, a knock was heard on the door.

"Shoto—Oh!" She opened the door, half expecting it to be her comrade but to her surprise, it was Ejiro.

"No, not Shoto. Sorry to disappoint." He stuck his hands in his pockets, feeling awkward about how she answered the door. Arinna stood there in her sweats and large T shirt. "Is there something the matter?" She asked.

"Uhh..." he looked down at his feet shyly before he said a word. "I just want to apologize for last night." He scratched the back of his neck. "I won't assume I know anything about you again."

"Oh..." she would've said more but she was interrupted.

"I just know when I see trauma. I was merely trying to help you." His head was lowered but his eyes were glued to her, hoping for a good review of his apology. He meant it wholeheartedly, he only hoped she would approve.

"I'm the one who should be apologizing." She blurted out. "I shouldn't have gotten angry like that."

Kirishimas smile crept back onto his lips, "I'm not going to lie, you looked pretty bad ass when you turned into a lion." He chuckled. Ari let herself smile at him. "Are we still friends?" He stuck out his hand. Ari looked at it and almost frowned. "Of course, I won't get offended if you don't shake my hand."

"It's okay, give it here." She opened her hand and he placed it in hers, shaking it formally. "Yes, we can still be friends." She shook his hand, every nerve in her hand screamed in uncertainty. In the back of her mind, she liked the warmth of his touch. 

"Good. I thought you didn't like me for a while." That wasn't supposed to come out of his mouth, oops. He drew back his hand and stepped back apologetically. "I mean, I didn't think you liked me for a friend, you know because you seem to be so quiet and-" he was saved by Arinna's laughter. She had to laugh at the situation, it was ridiculous.

"I know what you meant, it's okay." She giggled. "I'm just shy. Give me time." She reassured him. Kirishima nodded and smiled his sharp toothy grin.

"Okay." He didn't think he would be so happy about winning back her approval or the fact that he had done it so quickly. He didn't want to leave their friendship on bad terms, not when it had just begun. "Goodnight, Ari."

"Goodnight, Ejiro." She watched him walk down the hall and into his bedroom. It was strange, he was the first boy her age she had ever been respected by, besides Shoto. This time, she had to give him a chance.