Chapter 22

"My lady." Emma placed a tray on the table. On the tray were teacups and few baked pastries.

Catherina was currently reading a book in the garden.

When she smelled the fragrance of the tea coming from the pot, she knew that it was her favorite milk tea.

"Did you make this?" Rina asked.

"Yes. Madame told me that you liked milk tea so I wanted to try making it."

"Thank you."

"It's nothing, my lady."

*Neigh*

Catherina could hear the horses neighing. It came from the front gate. Maybe someone visited them.

The gates opened and the carriage went in. There Rina saw the empress' emblem on carriage doors.

Catherina abruptly stood up. 'What is she doing here-!'

"My lady? Is something wrong?" Emma asked.

"That.. the empress is here."

"Her majesty the empress?!"

Catherina walked towards the mansion.

"Rina?" Carla saw Catherina approaching her.

"Mother, the empress is here." Rina whispered.

That one sentence alone made Carla's face deviate into a glum expression.

"Madame! Her majesty the empress is here!" Another maidservant announced as she opened the doors.

Slowly, the empress' appearance came to their sight.

"We greet the moon of the empire." Catherina and her mother greeted.

The other servants just bowed in greeting as well.

"What is your majesty doing here in our humble abode?" Carla asked.

"No need to be so formal. I'm just here to check on something." Odette replied as she stared at her.

"Please take a seat, your majesty." Carla gestured her to sit on the sofa.

"Hm."

"Emma, please serve us tea." Rina ordered.

"Yes, my lady."

...

The sound of teacups getting placed on the table was the only sound that is present in the current time.

Emma was placing the tea sets with extra careful movements so that she wouldn't make any mistakes. She then slowly poured tea on each cups and bowed after she was finished.

After which, another maid approached the empress closer to see if there was something on the tea.

"It's fine." The empress raised her hand. "I'm sure the Dwights won't do anything that would harm the royals."

The maid who brought a silver needle bowed and left.

"Thank you for trusting us, your majesty." Carla thanked.

Catherina on the other hand was just observing the whole scenario.

'The empress sure likes wordplays.' Rina thought.

The three women began to drink their teas.

"Who's the one that prepared these?" Odette asked.

"It's Emma, your majesty. She's my personal maid." Rina answered.

"Hmm. I see." Odette mumbled as she cast her sight on Emma.

Emma, who locked gazes with the empress just bowed.

After that, the empress wanted to know how Rina is and she also brought present for her last debut.

"Thank you for the present, your majesty." Rina thanked as she held the box in her arms.

"It's nothing. I think of you as my own so it's not a big deal." The empress chuckled.

"I also have a gift for you, duchess." She looked at Carla. "Bring it." She ordered the royal servants.

As per the empress' orders, the servants brought boxes from the carriage.

"Your majesty, what are these?" Carla asked.

"They are various tea leaves from the east. I hope you like it." Odette grinned.

"It's a pleasure, your majesty."

Catherina and Carla were confused of Odette's trivial actions.

After giving out the presents, the empress prepared herself to leave.

Carla and Rina escorted the empress towards the carriage.

"We wish you a safe travel, your majesty." The mother and daughter said in chorus. The servants behind them bowed as well.

"Hm. I enjoyed the tea." Odette uttered, looking at Emma once again.

"Let's leave."

"Yes, your majesty. Hiya!" The coachman started the carriage by whipping the horses

*Neigh*

"..."

"..."

"Madame, what do we do about the presents?" A maidservant asked.

"Throw them away." Carla replied.

"Right away, madame."

"Mother." Catherina tugged her sleeve. "Why is the empress doing this?"

"I don't know. But we need to be careful."

..

***

..

At night...

A hooded person came wandering around the empress' palace at the dead of the night.

The person's actions were cautious and vigilant of the surroundings.

*Knock* *Knock*

"Your majesty, it's me." The person's voice passed through the door.

"Enter."

*Creak*

The sound of light footsteps entered the room.

The person uncovered the hood and under the dim lights was the person's face revealed.

"You've come."

The empress grinned.

"Emma."