Chapter 23

"How were the presents I gave to Carla?" Odette asked.

"She threw them away, your majesty." Emma answered in a soft tone.

"I knew she'd do that." The empress chuckled. She paused for a bit then stared at Emma.

"That's why you're here, Emma. Since she threw away the gifts I sincerely gave her, you will be the vessel who wil give her my secret gift indirectly. Isn't it fun?"

"....Yes, your majesty."

"So how was Rina?"

"She's adorable, your majesty. She's a gentle child. A child... Who has everything that I don't." Emma quietly mumbled the last part

"She takes after her father. Raphael was also a sweet one. Until that woman appeared."

"Pardon? Why would the Duke be included in this..."

"That's another story to tell. Anyways, you have one job." Odette stood up from her seat.

She walked towards her bed and beside it was a box.

Inside that box was a tiny bottle with the Blue Dragon's tears.

Odette gave the tiny bottle to Emma.

"What.. is this?"

"Do me a favor. Every tea time, I need you to give one drop a day on Carla's tea, using this."

"W-What's inside this?" Emma stuttered.

The empress grinned at her.

"It's poison."

"Y-Your majesty!" Emma bowed her head to the floor.

"Oh? Are you acting out right now?"

"I can't, your majesty. They are kind people who don't deserve such thing."

Odette knelt and raised Emma's face by pinching her fingers to her chin.

"Did you forget already? I was the one who saved you from that trashy life. Not them. And by the way, your acting was good."

"B-But,"

*Slap!*

The empress harshly slapped Emma.

"It seems like you need some refreshing of memories." Odette uttered as she took out a whip.

As soon as Emma saw the whip in her hands, she trembled exceedingly. Memories that aren't worth remembering started to remind her.

"No, please no. Please forgive me, I won't do it again." Emma clutched her clothes in desperation.

The empress smiled. She was pleased at Emma's reaction.

"I took you out of that life so you must repay me with your life. Okay?"

"Ye-Yes, your majesty."

Emma didn't know that the price of being saved would cost so much.

"Don't let pity cover your heart. Just think that you're doing this to save your life."

"One drop each day on Carla's tea. It's simple!" Odette added.

"Oh, and was it few weeks? No, I think months. Right. And within few months, Carla will surely die and Raphael is mine! Haha!" Odette talked to herself.

She paused for a moment as she saw her reflection in the mirror.

"Ah, such hideous appearance." She muttered as she looked at the imperfections that showed up on her face.