(Identity crisis arc) Part 9

After being invited over to Sam's house, Steve and Natasha decide to use one of the guest rooms to clean up the ash from Camp Lehigh. Steve wiped his face once he was done washing up and manage to catch a glimpse of Natasha looking distressed.

Steve: *walks out* "You okay?"

Natasha: *dries hair* "Yeah"

After Steve wipes his hands, he tossed the used towel in the laundry basket before sitting next to Natasha.

Steve: "What's going on?"

Natasha: "When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D I thought I was going straight...I guess I just traded out the KGB for HYDRA"

Natasha sighs before looking down.

Natasha: "I thought I knew the lies I was telling, but now...I guess I can't tell the difference anymore"

Steve: "There's a chance you might be in the wrong business"

Natasha: *scoff* "...I owe you"

Steve: "It's okay"

Natasha: "If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life. Be honest, would you trust me to do it?"

Steve: "I would now, and I'm always honest"

Steve then flashed a smirk towards Natasha, giving her a smile of her own.

Natasha: "Well you seem pretty chipper for someone who found out they died for nothing"

Steve: "Well...Guess I just like to know who I'm fighting"

A knock on the door interrupted their moment as Sam's voice could be heard on the other side.

Sam: "I made breakfast. If you guys...eat that sort of thing"

Seeing a good opportunity to put a pin on it. Steve and Natasha decide to end the conversation before heading to the living room to discuss.

Natasha: "Now the question is, who at S.H.I.E.L.D could launch a domestic missile strike?"

Steve: "Pierce..."

Natasha: "Who happens to live in the most secure building in the world"

Steve: "He's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on The Lemurian Star"

Natasha: "So was Jasper Sitwell"

Steve: "...So the real question is how do the 2 most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D officer in broad daylight"

Sam: "The answer is...You don't"

Sam wraps around the counter before placing a folder down on the table along with a picture in front of Steve.

Steve: "What's this?"

Sam: "Call it a resume"

Steve stood up from his chair as Natasha picked up the photo.

Natasha: "Is this Bakhmala? Khalid Khandil mission, that was you? *To Steve* You didn't say he was a pararescue" *hands photo to Steve*

Steve: "Is this Riley?"

Sam: *nods* "Yeah"

Natasha: "I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use a stealth chute?"

Sam: "No. These"

Sam then grabs the folder before handing it over to them, when Steve received the folder he began inspecting its contents

Steve: "I thought you said you were a pilot?"

Sam: "I never said 'pilot'"

Steve: "...I can't ask you to do this, you got out for a good reason"