(The Mary Janes arc) Part 9

Outside the venue, we see MJ and the others sitting around a table watching as Peter's phone rings, waiting for Y/n to pick up. As every second passes, and every ring, Peter squirms slightly in his seat, feeling nervous for his friend and dreads whatever situation he might've been in.

His nervousness settled when Y/n answered the phone in a nonchalant voice.

Y/n's voice: "Yo, Pete!"

Peter: "H-Hey...Y/n"

Y/n's voice: "Dude, you will not believe what just happened. So-"

Peter: "How's it hanging, bro!"

Y/n's voice: "..."

MJ and the others quickly looked around at each other confused

MJ: *whisper* "What's going on?"

Peter: "Y/n? You okay?"

Y/n's voice: "hmm? Oh yeah, just lost reception for a second. This venue has a lot of dead zones, what were you saying?"

Gloria: *whisper* "Ask him about what was he gonna say"

Peter: "You were saying something about me not believing what happened?"

Y/n's voice: "Oh, that! So I was standing in line for this hotdog cart, right? I was hungry so I decided to head out to get some dogs. And would you believe it? Stan is manning the hotdog cart!"

Peter: "Wow, who would've guessed"

Y/n's voice: "Then the next thing I knew people are stampeding out of Madison Square, is everything alright?"

Gwen: *mutter* "So he didn't even watch the performance"

MJ: *whisper* "At least he's okay"

Peter: "Oh you know, just everyday crime in New York"

Y/n's voice: "Are you guys hurt?"

Peter: "Thankfully no, Spider-man manages to arrive in time for us to escape"

Y/n's voice: "Well, that's good"

MJ: *whisper* "Tell him to meet up with us"

Peter: "Hey, the others are worried about you, think you could meet us at the smoothie shop just a few blocks out?"

Y/n's voice: "Smoothie shop...Okay, I see it. Be right there"

After the call dropped, Peter and the others waited patiently, no words were exchanged with each other. Peter seemed to be at ease, knowing that his best friend had swapped back from his alter ego and is now on his way back.

MJ: *sigh* "I felt my soul leave my body when we walked on stage"

MJ leans back exhausted, planting both of her arms to her side, unknowingly placing one over Peter's causing him to stiffen up in his seat.

Not long after, Y/n arrives at the smoothie shop and takes a quick look around before spotting Peter and the others.

Y/n: *walks over* "Hey, glad to see you guys are okay"

Gwen: "So you weren't even at the show"

Y/n immediately stiffened in worry, his promise slipping from his head while thinking about his alibi. He looks over at Peter for help only to see him battle his fluster.

Y/n: "I...Well, I..."

MJ: "At least you're safe, that's all that matters"

Y/n: "No...I'm sorry, I thought that hearing you guys practice over and over, maybe I wouldn't miss much. I guess that's a bit of a dick move on my part"