Kendall's Pov (22)

Have you ever experienced a sense of complete unawareness, standing on both feet, where your entire body seems disconnected from the present environment, making everything before you appear like a mirage?

I don't know the term for it, but that's the sensation engulfing me as I stare at the elusive images moving around. Despite my once-raging bladder now being calm, my heart continues to palpitate.

While my mind insists that what I walked into is undeniably real, I find myself replaying the scene for a more discerning judgment.

"Hey Kenny, W_what are you doing here? You wanna use the bathroom or something?" Jessica forces out a burst of nervous laughter.

But I'm staring at her, flabbergasted, unsure of how to speak.

"Do you wanna join us? Terri and I were just playing chess before you entered" she splutter.

She's lying, she's obviously lying to my face right now and although there's a chessboard on the furniture, that wasn't what my eyes saw when I stepped in.

And why would the both of them be playing chess in a dark room? I wonder.

"But you don't know how to play chess?" I counter.

"Uh... He was teaching me you know" she holds my both arms soothingly.

"If you like he can teach us both" she shrugs smiling sheepishly.

Ew, it sounded like she wants me involved in their nasty deeds. I stare at Terri and my hatred for him elevates.
Jessica used to hate his guts as well so what the heck is she doing with him in a room when Landon is downstairs?

Why can't she ever be true to herself and people? Why is she stringing everybody on like some messed-up thread?

Terri gives me a cold stare, lighting up a cigar at the end of the room like he doesn't give a shit what I think.

"Jess!!" he called with such an authoritative tone that it surprised me. And the way Jessica reacts like a scared cat.

She tries to ignore him but he makes it louder, giving her no choice but to return to him.

I can't stand them both, their lying cheating ass, so I swing around and step out not before overhearing them argue about who forgot to lock the door.

I found another bathroom and emptied my bladder. Phew, I shouldn't develop a kidney stone because of them.

Deep down my heart, I know Jessica doesn't deserve Landon. I know their relationship was eventually gonna mess up our friendship but I didn't think it'd be with a piece of shit like Terri. He had no class, just a hoodlum with a temper that always got him on the wrong foot with everyone.

I'm nervous as I step out of the restroom, I'm not sure what to do, do I tell Landon what I saw? Or confront Jessica?... Perhaps she had her reasons or probably my eyes were just deceiving me. I know it was dark in there and I must've misconstrued everything.

"K!! Where have you been? My eyes haven't set on you since after we arrived, why?" Landon wraps me in a warm hug like he's relieved to find me. Or maybe he's running away from someone. From my peripheral view, I see a girl staring daggers at me before moving back into the crowd. Poor Landon.

"I've been making new friends and giving you and Jessica couple's time," I say.

"What?... Is that even a thing? It's not necessary K, we're all friends and can hang out together besides I brought you here because I want to spend some time with you but you went MIA on me."

"I'm sorry, it looks like I actually saved you from a certain shark" I laugh.

"You did, she's been all over me tryna get me into one of them bathrooms you know the rest" he shrugs, and I look at him with pity.