how to live - XV

TW: weapons, implications of ab.se

--Bastet--

Avery pulls me away, out of the building and down the street. Quarry leads us down multiple corners, through block after block, until I'm sure we're in the heart of the city. He takes us into a shop. Each wall is filled with knives, swords and armor.

"Why would anyone need this?" I ask no one in particular.

"Maylea doesn't have a military. So, people are expected to defend themselves," Quarry explains, admiring a silver shield welded with a coat of arms. He touches it faintly, his fingers soft and gentle. Almost as you would reach out for an animal. I hope it's not alive.

"Well, that's stupid," I say. Avery drags me away before Quarry can answer. I watch as he picks up the shield without dithering. It borders his chest.

Avery takes down a gold-handled sword against a wall. Intricate twists and designs vine the handle. With them dots of blooms bud. The blade itself glints in the dim light of the shop. She swings it around her arm.

Why does she know how to wield a sword?

Avery beams down at it.

"Bastet go find something," she says, still swinging the sword. I shake my head.

"I don't like pain. Inflicting it, I mean," I say, watching her.

"But you like feeling pain, yes?" She says, striking the sword into the floor and leaning on it. The clerk yells a curse at her. Avery doesn't listen.

"I like danger. It's fun."

"You are avoiding the question, kid." She stares at me. I feel myself start to squirm.

"Fine, I'll find something." Avery nods, turning to pick up a different sword on the wall.

I walk around, my eyes catching anything that shines. I don't want a sword or shield. I don't want anything that might protect me when danger lurks. I'd rather feel the danger. I'd rather feel the pain. I need that consequence. It's how I live.

I've only known that danger. I've gotten to love it. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have danger and pain. Knit?

I stop, and stare at a rack. There, right there, is the heart-sunglasses I was admiring at the market. I pick them up swiftly, causing all the other glasses to fall off the spiny rack.

I jog around the store until I find Quarry and Avery at the counter. Avery is counting out her coins. The clerk looks bored.

"Look!" I say excitedly, putting on the sunglasses. Quarry chuckles and claps once. He looks pleased. Avery looks like she's about to slap the back of my head.

I take off the sunglasses and put them next to Quarry's shield he was admiring and Avery's gold-handled sword. Avery squints at me.

"Really?" She says. I nod, smiling. "You are an idiot." She thrusts the money into my hands and walks away. I watch her head bob up and down as she moves. Finally, I watch as she picks something up, walks back to the counter, and slaps down a black matte bag.

"What is it?" Quarry picks up the bag. It dangles between his two fingers.

"Throwing knives," Avery says, satisfied. She crosses her arms.

I give the bag of money to the clerk.