queen - XXXI

TW: p.in, cursing

--Bastet--

We walk until Quarry complains of his stomach. We only stop for a second so Avery can pull out some dried rabbit meat from yesterday. But it was enough for Quarry to start talking.

"If you could, would you or would you not change who you are, yes or no?" Quarry says as Avery throws the meat at him.

"When you word that sentence like a normal human being I will answer," Avery grumbles.

"Yes," I tell Quarry. He swishes to me, his eyes wide and smile big.

"DO TELL," He says. Avery pushes us so we start walking.

"I would want to be the child of the Queen of Maylea. In Kyson all we have is a stupid presidental system. It's all corrupt so it's not even cool. I feel like that would be cool, you know? Royalty?"

"Trust me you do not," Avery says, looking at the ground.

"Why not?" I ask her. Avery snaps her neck up at me, her nostrils flared.

"The queen's a bitch. Besides, everyone hates the princess since she ran away. You do not want people to hate you. Especially since you are a Gold-Eyed, Bastet." Avery twists her lips.

"SHE RAN AWAY?" I shout. Quarry snorts.

"You didn't know that?" Quarry says. I stare in the distance, the thought washing over my mind.

"She's like me...." I whisper.

"You are a dumbass," Avery sighs, speeding up.

"You're so mean to me," I whine. I follow Avery, trying to catch up to her. My feet pound on the ground. I hear Quarry running to catch up with us.

"Guys," He pants. Quarry pushes me and Avery forward through a grove of trees. I stumble forward, my feet catching on roots and mounds of needles. I push myself off a tree, stumbling forward.

I gape in awe at the scene before me.

The ground is blanketed in moss in the small grove we find ourselves in. Pine needles splay on the surrounding grounds. Pine trees darken the sky, blocking the cool sun's rays from sleeping on the moss. I twirl around, gaping at the tree-tall crystals. I mean, Kyson trees.

They grow from the ground up. Luminescent blue to a glowing violet. They look mythal.

"Woah," I breathe.

"Welcome to the Crystal Grove!" Quarry throws out his arms and twirls around. I move to the middle of the grove. My hand finds Quarry's shoulder.

"Wanna climb the crystals?" I ask him. Quarry pushes me back. I fall on the ground before I scramble up and grab onto a crystal.

I grab at the smooth sides, pushing my feet against the sides. The soles of my shoes slip. Grasping at the side of the crystal, I make a face.

"AGH!" I scream, falling to the ground. My head hits the moss with a thud. I roll to the side, groaning in pain.

"You should not have tried to climb that," Avery says, sitting on the ground.

"HAHA!" Quarry cheers. I look up. He's sitting on the top of the crystal, his legs wrapped around the top. "SUCK IT BASTET!" He laughs, pointing at me.

I growl at him, pushing myself up. Avery puts a hand on my shoulder before shaking her head. I sigh and fall back down, Quarry still laughing.