sounding like this - XXXVIII

TW: mentions of dr.gs, d..th

--Bastet--

Quarry wakes me after dawn. I open my eyes to him standing over me, just staring. So now he has a bruise on his cheek. Avery thought it was funny.

Quarry and I walk to where he says Lady Sorrel makes her residence. I expected a bigger cottage, maybe like a spiral staircase, but it's the exact same as everyone else's. Minus the kitchen, and living room, and loft where I can make out her bed.

I stand in the doorway with Quarry as Lady Sorrel rummages through a trunk up on her loft. She makes a noise and comes down with a folder stuffed with paper.

"Bastet, tell me about your myth," Lady Sorrel says, eyes cast to me.

"Well I have my stars," I say, inhaling quickly so I can move them towards me. "And I can control them through my breaths. Oh, I can also heat them." I think back to Mars looking at me, confusion in their eyes.

"They burned me!" Quarry pipes up, smiling. He holds out his finger. Lady Sorrel frowns.

"They...burned you?" She asks. Quarry nods.

"I'll put you with a Brown-Eyed myth Mentor. Beginners level. I do have to say, controlling not only one myth but two is...unheard of." Lady Sorrel says, her fingers dancing on her shirt hem.

"But you can control myth," I point out. Lady Sorrel shakes her head.

"I can dodge and bend, not control. I can't take those myths for my own. I can't use them like you can." She shakes her head.

My eyes itch. I interlace my fingers with each other as I look back at Quarry. He smiles encouragingly at me.

"Since you, Quarry, finished my classes you can elect to retake them or you could do garden work. Though I will not allow you to teach," She says, looking up at him. She's flipping through the papers.

"Fair enough." Quarry shrugs. I sigh. "I'll retake them. I haven't been able to use my myth for a bit. I'd be nice, you know?" Quarry nudges my shoulder.

"You'd have to be sober for the classes," I point out.

"I can probably do that!" Quarry grins at me.

"Classes are everyday. Multiple times." He falters, his smile fading.

I look at Quarry as Lady Sorrel does. Quarry looks down, his eyebrows knitted together. "I'll pass."

"Quarry—" Lady Sorrel starts. Quarry looks up, his face red.

"No." He states. "No." He turns then, running out of the cottage.

"Quarry wait!" I shout. I cast a look back at Lady Sorrel before I sprint out of the cottage. My eyes follow Quarry as he runs down the paths. He pushes people out of the way. I sprint after him, my heart pounding. "Quarry!"

Grasses itch my legs as I follow Quarry through the field. He stops by the always-burning bonfire. I pant as I stop behind him.

"Quarry—" He whips around, tears staining his cheeks.

"I SAID NO!" He shouts. Quarry sighs as he collapses to the ground. I inch towards him. Sinking down next to him, my arms follow the routine I made for comforting Aken. I hug Quarry.

"It's okay. Nobody will force you to stop," I say, not meaning any word. I'm a shell as I say it. Quarry snorts as he glares at me.

"You liar," He says. I let go as I flinch. "Don't lie. You don't mean it." I stare at him.

"You're right. I don't," I say, getting up. I clasp my hands on my shirt. I can't let him see how they shake. My voice breaks as I speak. "You won't listen to me, so I'm leaving." Quarry flinches.

"What?" Quarry's voice splinters. I spin around again. I take a breath. Heat bleeds through my face and ears.

"You won't listen to me or Avery and we're trying our best to help. Neither of us know how, but we're trying! And–and it's your choice! Nobody is forcing drugs on you. And I almost had to watch you die because of it! It–it was scary." I say hurriedly, turning back around. I feel all clumsy and hot. My hands are shaking and my face is slick with sweat. My voice is hoarse and I can't breathe.

I've already had to see someone I care about die before. I don't want to do it again. I can't do it again.

As I walk away I cringe at myself. I don't like sounding like this.