everything seems closer - XXXII

TW: cursing, nightmares

--Bastet--

I grab my head. It's icy. My heartbeat. I can hear it in my ears. What was I dreaming of? What was it?

"What?" Avery says, her eyebrows furrowed together. Her gray eyes dig into my own. I groan as I blink away film. My fingers spread wide through the soft, misty moss.

I exchange a look with Avery. She stares at me, concerned.

"Where's Quarry?" I gasp. Avery points behind me. I spin around, my eyes meeting Quarry, who is splayed out like a dog on a warm day. I sigh in relief and turn back to Avery.

"What's up with you?" She snorts, sitting back down next to me. Should I tell her about my heartbeat? What did I dream of? I feel like that would help, but what if telling her things will just make her want to leave? She already didn't even want me to hang around her at first.

I drop my head to the ground. I watch the pine needles sway. The sunlight drips over them.

"I'm tired," I tell her. Avery lays down next to me.

"Then go back to sleep. Quarry is still sleeping," She responds, wiping her nose. I hum for a moment before turning my gaze to Avery.

"Why aren't you asleep?" I ask her. Avery snorts.

"I do not nap. Besides, we are closer to Lady Sorrel's. Someone needs to stand guard," She says, watching the dripping sunlight. A star flies in front of her face. "Bas."

I inhale, holding my nose. My stars pull back to me on a slingshot. I exhale, the stars go flying around the grove, illuminating the clearing better. What'd I say? Slingshot.

"Thanks," Avery says quietly. I smile at her. She pushes my face away, chuckling. "You are fucking dumb." I laugh.

"FUCK," Quarry screams behind us. I shoot up, spin around. Quarry sits there in a dead sweat, staring at me and Avery. He sighs as he sees us and falls back down. "Fuck both of you," He says.

"I'd ask about the implications of that however I am terrified of the answer," I say, getting up with Avery.

"As you should be," Quarry says, wiping his forehead.

"And what would that be?" Avery says, eyeing Quarry from the side. Quarry sighs before pushing himself up. He trudges over to me and Avery. I give him his backpack.

"Why is it so easy to forget during the day, but even easier to remember at night?" He looks up at the rustling needles. The sun shines softly on his face. Quarry presses his mouth into his cheek.

"Night makes everything seem closer," Avery says, picking up her bag. "Even one's own thoughts."

"You're so poetic, Avery," Quarry grins. I watch expectantly at the scene unfolding before me. Mocking after nappy times? Never goes well.

"Shut up you idiot."

"Try coming up with better retorts before you try to burn me, Averyyyy," Quarry says, spinning on his toes. He sticks out his tongue. He swishes away before sticking a hand in his backpack, searching for something. Probably something to smoke.

I turn towards Avery. She stands there, a disgusted look on her face.

"Violence edures after nappy times," I tell her. Avery moves her eyes to me, her expression glued.

"I–what the fuck?"