storms - LII

TW: mention of v..lence, cursing

--Bastet--

"Beginners Green-Eyes training with Calla, I've heard of her, I think. Beginners Blue-Eyes with Ivana, seen her in the gardens with Elowin, seems nice. Noon is lunch, obviously. Advanced Brown-Eyes with Gray, status: unknown. Beginners Brown-Eyes with Dion, status also unknown. Beginners Cloud-Eyes with Milo, befriended, and then I get the night off. And that's only my Monday and Wednesday schedule," I sigh.

"Wait wait wait," Thorn holds up her hand and snorts. "Befriended? Like your friend? Like you have none? You sound like a child, oh my fucking god this is fantastic." Thorn throws herself back laughing. I sigh.

"You know for once it would be good to have you on my side?" I tell them, leaning forward.

I found Thorn after my meeting with Lady Sorrel and Cassius. I brought a bag of snacks, as promised. Thorn gulped them down so fast I swear they hadn't eaten in days. Which very well might be the case.

When I found her, she was scratching things in the dirt. I wanted a look but as soon as they heard me she wiped it all away. Then we decided to climb a tree.

So here we are, sitting on the highest branch we could get to, eating raspberries and talking about my new schedule.

"For Tuesdays I have Myth theory which actually seems pretty interesting. I mean Lady Sorrel told me some about it but—" I stop as I look at Thorn. She watches me, listening even more carefully than Lady Sorrel did earlier.

"You probably don't want to hear about Myth theory," I say instead of continuing.

"Tell me more when you go to your class, okay?" I nod in response, stifling a smile. Thorn sighs and leans back.

"It sounds like you get everything. That's gonna be tricky," They say. I sigh.

"Everything minus Avery's weapons class. I don't know. Maybe? I was always pretty good at Kyson schools but then again all I did was read and study. I didn't have anything else to do. Well maybe go to parks and stuff. I had most of my books at home though. I had to pack them in the mornings."

"You had a lot?" Thorn asks, sitting back up. Their legs swing to help her. I nod.

"I wanted to bring some when I first came to the forest but I knew that people would know I was gone for good."

"Wait," Thorn furrows her eyebrows. "You were...running away?" I hesitate in answering. I trust Thorn, but I feel guilty telling her this when I haven't even told Avery or Quarry.

I shrug in response. Thorn looks down. Their fingers dig into the bark.

"You...had family?" She asks me quietly. I look down.

"No. They're all dead. Or I never met them." We stay quiet for a minute.

"My parents are dead too," Thorn whispers. I look up at her. Thorn focuses on the bark. I wait for them to continue but she doesn't, and I don't push her. I wouldn't want to talk about my dead family either. Though, I can't help but wonder what happened to them.

We stay quiet for a minute before Thorn looks back up at me, her eyes red.

Was she crying?

"Have you ever touched the sky?" She asks me, leaning forward.

"What?"

"Like—" Thorn reaches up. Their hand brushes a leaf. She keeps on stretching. "Like touched a cloud," She says.