hear us - LXXVII

TW: bl..d, vi.lence, panic, kn.ves, st.bbing

--Bastet--

My heart stops as I recognize the obsidian hair and pale complexion. The way she straightens her spine and turns around slowly, like they're hunting prey.

"Thorn," We all say in unison.

Thorn smiles at us. I take a step forward. Avery grabs my arm.

"Bastet, what are you thinking?" She hisses. I shake her off, creeping to Thorn. My heart wants to say she's coming but my mind knows different. She seems...colder.

"Thorn, what are you doing here?" I ask them.

"Bastet," Quarry warns. Thorn turns to me, still grinning. I take a step back as our eyes meet.

Her hair is matted, their eyes dark and skin like paper. Bubbling veins brush underneath. The blue and purple mix of life in her. Her smile looks more of a sneer.

Thorn takes a step forward. Their hands meet my shoulders. I fall to the ground. Avery and Quarry launch forward, grabbing her arms. They retract immediately as their skin meets hers.

Quarry hisses in pain.

I look up at Thorn. Tears streak my cheeks pale. She looks down at me. The sunlight makes fractures of light scatter across her bony features. Tears mingle in her own eyes. She exhales shakily.

Avery yells, throwing herself at Thorn again. She knocks them to the ground in a tumble. Avery pulls back, hissing through her teeth. Quarry runs to her and helps her up. Avery's skin looks bruised.

"What did you do to her?" I say shakily. I stand up as Thorn stumbles. "What's wrong with you? What happened?"

Thorn looks up, tears streaming down her face. She chuckles emptily. I step back.

"Thorn, tell me."

"Bastet, get away from them," Quarry says, squeezing his eyes shut, clutching his own hands.

My eyes catch a shimmer of light. Avery groans as she takes out a knife from her boot. It clatters to the ground in a flash. Avery clenches her teeth in pain.

"What did you do?" I ask again, voice breaking. My hands shake. I exhale, calling my stars forward. Thorn frowns.

"You won't hurt me," She rasps. I choke.

Avery launches herself at Thorn. She screams, slashing her knife at Thorn's throat. Thorn whips around. They dodge Avery's slash.

Her hands meet Avery's wrists. They turn her hands swiftly, making the knife fall from Avery's hands to their own. Avery screams, clutching her hands.

I slash my arms down in Sun motion. I pull up my hand. Stars turn fire light as I throw them at Thorn.

They hit her head. Thorn falls to the ground, clutching their eyes. Avery groans and moves towards the knife.

Quarry sprints towards it. He grabs it and raises it above Thorn's throat. She grabs at her eyes, trying to unblind themself.

"STOP!" I shout, running towards Quarry. "Don't kill them!" Quarry looks back at me. Thorn tears away, her eyes red and speckled. She knocks the knife out of Quarrys hands. The blade glints as they knock him with the flat. Quarry tumbles back, hissing.

I drop by him, my hands shaking around his head.

"Quarry!" He groans. Tears slip out of his eyes. His finger shakes forward. Thorn plunges the knife towards Avery's head.

I scream, eyes blurry. I throw myself at Thorn. My skin burns as it meets hers. I yelp, pulling back. The pain stays, making my vision dot. I blink.

Thorn scuttles towards the knife. I run towards Avery.

She rolls to the side, tears streaming out of her eyes.

"AVERY!" I shout. I choke a sob. I pull closer to her. She scrunches her nose.

"S'okay," She manages. Her voice is hoarse. I sob. Behind me, Quarry screams as he throws himself at Thorn again. Thorn's familiar voice yelps.

I blink again, tears falling. I wipe my eyes quickly.

Avery is sweaty and covered in dirt. Her eyes are squeezed shut as she clutches her hands, tinting waxy blue. She writhes in pain. Her forehead is cut along her brow. Blood bubbles to her flesh. She groans every time she moves.

"Stop!" I tell her, clutching her shoulders. "You're going to worsen your wound!"

I hesitate, looking around for help. We passed the Meadows usual training grounds. I can't even see the main sector from here. No one can see us.

Hear us.

Help us.

"Oh god," I mutter. I look back at Avery.

"BAS!" I hear Quarry screech. I spin. Quarry struggles beneath Thorn. Hunger flares in her eyes.

Breath leaves my lungs as I jump to my feet. I raise both my hands. Warmth follows. I strain as I toss stars at Thorn. It misses and hits near Quarry. He yelps. I close my eyes again, trying to focus.

I slice my arm through the air, sending another bundle of stars hurtling at Thorn. It hits her chest. They crumple underneath the heat, hitting with a thud beside Quarry. Quarry clutches his chest, gasping.

I run towards them. I grab Thorn's wrist. Pain shoots through my body. I pull back.

Thorn gasps before looking me in the eyes.

"There are so many things I wanted with you," She whispers, smiling. I stagger back. Thorn stands.

The knife knicks my hair. Sunlight glints off the blade.

Behind me, Avery screams. I'm already running.

In Avery's thigh is her knife. She screams. Her veins pulse in her neck.

"Avery!" Quarry drops to her. He holds out his hand.

"Don't pull it out," He says softly. I growl, whipping to Thorn. She laughs behind us. Laughter and screaming mingle together in a symphony of pain.

"Wh—? Stop!" I shout. Thorn throws her head back, laughing. She looks me in the eyes. I step back as I see tears. They grit their teeth.

"Don't ask me," She says, groaning. "Ask the Queen. She wanted this. She wanted you." Thorn starts laughing again.

"Mm," Avery mutters. I look back at her. Quarry's eyes are wide.

"Oh god no, don't die Avery please," He begs. I growl, tears spilling out of my eyes.

I launch myself at Thorn without warning. I arch my arm, slicing, as I toss myself at her. Stars around me flicker blue.

She laughs as I tackle her to the ground. They stop as I stay still on her. I flinch as my skin burns. I push my stars towards her. Thorn struggles under my grasp.

"What?" She growls, pushing against me. I hold them down. Is that tears or sweat? It soaks the ground. "Wait Bastet."

I push more stars onto her. They flinch, thrashing under me.

"STOP IT!" She screams. "IT HURTS, STOP!" I keep them still. She kicks my legs. My hands stay clamped. I turn around. Quarry meets my eyes. He has Avery in his arms, ready to run.

Quarry takes off towards the cottages. I push my last bit of energy into Thorn. I jump off her and turn and run.

I don't look back.