everything will be okay - LXVII

TW: d.pression

--Bastet--

 I open the door to the cottage. Ota sits on its bed. She looks up lazily and quirks an eyebrow.

"You've had a day, so I've heard," She says, looking back down at her book.

"What've you heard?" I snap at it. Ota looks back up, surprised. She doesn't look offended, though. Oh shit. "Sorry."

"Well, Elowin left for garden work, so." We stay quiet for a second. Ota takes a look at my puffy eyes and hums.

"Are you okay?" Ota asks me. I look at it and frown. She always dresses in such a dark palette.

"Why do you dress in dark clothes? Is it intimidation?" I ask her. Ota snorts before bursting out in laughter. I feel warmth rise to my cheeks. I look away. "Whatever nevermind."

"HA BASTET!" It slaps her knee. I grumble and fall face-first into my bed, suffocating in my pillow.

"Damn dude, you really are dumb. HA! Imagine, intimidation," Ota snickers.

Great, even Ota is a better person than me.

I came to the forest to get away from Aken. To feel better about myself and figure out who I am away from all the rules and...other stuff. And I guess I've done that. With figuring out I'm a Star and all....

But then I killed the Felidae. And...I made myself think Aquarii was Aken.

Did I even get away?

* * *

Avery shows up about an hour later, judging by the passing storm clouds.

"Get up, I do not care if you are depressed. We're going to eat," She tells me. I groan in response. Avery groans back mockingly. She grabs my wrist and pulls me up.

I sigh as she puts her sword down underneath our bunk.

"Come on. I got Quarry waiting outside." She holds out her hand. I take it and let Avery pull me up. She rolls her eyes at me before we walk outside.

Ota left at some point, because its bed was empty.

"Woah you good Bas?" Quarry asks me as I step outside. I rub my eyes. They burn still.

"No," I reply. Avery and Quarry watch me expectantly. I sigh and turn to Avery. "You were right," I tell her. Avery frowns.

"About what?" Quarry asks. Me and Avery look at him. I look down.

"I overheard Lady Sorrel and Cassius today," I explain to him. "She was saying how she thinks I'm Kysonian and how I'll defect to Kyson when I learn all the Rings."

"Lady Sorrel said that?" Quarry asks, disbelief creeping into his voice. I don't blame him. I wouldn't believe me either.

"She said she hates Kysonians and said I'd be too powerful. I just put the rest together from what Avery told me," I tell him. Quarry looks down at his boots.

"I heard Lady Sorrel say that Bastet was dangerous to the Meadow and she has to be kept on our side," Avery tells Quarry. "I do not trust her."

"I can't either," I say, sniffing. "Now that she hates me." Quarry stays quiet. He chuckles softly before looking up at the sky.

"I just–" he says softly. "I don't know. I'm sorry."

We all stay quiet.

"What are we going to do?" I ask Avery and Quarry. We stand at the edge of the field, watching everyone around the bonfire shout and laugh.

"We will eat dinner," Avery says, looking out on the field. "And we'll enjoy ourselves for as long as we can."

* * *

Quarry stays quiet for most of dinner, even though Milo keeps on shooting him looks.

Me, him and Avery sit on the outskirts of the bonfire as some people sing about The Legend of All in the center of the circle.

Nobody dares bring up Lady Sorrel, and we try to eat. We don't enjoy ourselves. It's hard when you know all this good stuff is gonna end real soon.

We're gonna have to leave again. Me only knowing Sun and flickering Moon. Quarry leaving "friends". And Avery leaving her students, stability, a bed without prodding springs.

I have to tell Thorn. She's gotta know we're leaving. I guess I'll find them tomorrow after my lessons. She's probably still hanging around. Hopefully.

Next to me Avery gets up and turns towards the cottages. She looks in that direction before she sits back down, closer to me and Quarry this time.

I wonder if Avery thinks I'm a good person. I wonder if she thinks I'm bad for liking power and feeling unsteady. If she knew that stuff, would it change her opinion on me? Would Quarry change his opinion on me if he knew?

"We should go," Avery says quietly. Me and Quarry look at her. "I mean to sleep."

"Oh yeah," Quarry says. He looks down and sighs. We all sit there in silence.

"Guys," Quarry whispers. I look at him. His cheeks and eyes match in a cherry blossom hue. "I don't know about you, but I don't want to leave." I look down at the ground.

"It's been good," I say quietly.

"It will be like this again someday," Avery whispers. Me and Quarry look up at her. Her bun is falling out, yellow strands of hair falling in her face. The fire flickers against her skin, making her look tired. "Someday, everything will be okay."