glow orange - CVI

TW: panic, pain, v..lence, bl..d, st.bbing, electr.c.tion, m.rder, kn.ves

--Bastet--

I can't breathe.

I turn to Avery. She looks at the ground, tears dropping from her eyes. I let go.

Avery drops to the ground with a scream. She clutches her leg, sobbing.

"What is he talking about Avery?" I ask, my voice deep. Avery pushes her head to the ground, her hands finding her thigh.

I inhale. I exhale. I can't breathe.

"My darling managed to get stabbed too?" Hadron purrs. I drop next to Avery. My hands find my hair. I choke out a sob.

Avery lied. My best friend lied. That's how she knew the palace so well. That's how she knew where to come in. That's why she knew the way. That's why that's why that's why that's why.

That's why.

That's why.

I can't breathe.

"No matter," Hadron's far-away voice says. "You're here now. I must punish Briar later for her incompetence. Flare, help me contain the specimen."

I whip my head up. Quarry clenches his teeth, tears staining his cheeks.

"You're an idiot if you think I'm going to help you again," Quarry growls. Hadron steps back.

"Oh a rebel now," He purrs. "My prized, one meaningless friend for infinite knowledge of my Rings?"

Quarry growls. He steps in front of Avery and I. I look up at him, my eyes stinging like knives.

Quarry bares his teeth at Hadron.

"These are my friends," He growls. He steps forward. "No matter what you say."

"Oh, brave now, are we?" Hadron moves towards us. Quarry stiffens. Hadron laughs.

Quarry's face changes. He hardens.

Quarry yells and throws himself across the tables. He knocks into Hadron, sending both of them back into shattered beakers and spilled ink. I watch from under the tables as Quarry scrambles on top of Hadron.

Fingers spread, lightning scatters. Blue light illuminates the room as Quarry electrocutes Hadron.

Even Hadron's screams are soft. Honey. Seaside. Fern leaves. Dew.

Avery exhales shakily. Her blood touches my fingers. She's spilling. She's bleeding. She's dying. I dropped her. I did this.

I'm killing her.

I push my head into the ground, fighting my breath. I have to get myself together. I have to help Avery. Avalynn. I don't care, she is my friend.

I hurt her. I am the cause of her wound. I.

I scream into the ground. Slamming behind me. I stand and whip around. Avery calls out in pain.

"Hadron?" A woman walks in a white robes. Her hair is dark brown to match her skin. She has glittery gray eyes. Her face is struck with horror. "What—?"

Quarry screams behind me. Hadron got him. Struck by surprise he left an opening. I will not do the same.

I move to stand over Avery.

The woman gasps and moves near me. She brings her hand to my face. I stare at her in disgust.

"Oh Hadron, you brought me a Golden One," She says.

"Don't treat me like that," I mutter. This woman must be the head. She's the one who wants me.

The woman laughs sweetly. She and Hadron must be related. They're too sweet with bleeding children and screams of horror from their mouths.

"A feisty one as well." She moves to take my hand. I smack her hand away, my stars following my movements. The woman gasps, pulling away. Her face contorts in pain.

"Well if that is how we're going to play," The woman snarls. She reaches down and grabs something from a table behind me. I duck down just as she moves the knife by my waist. The woman moves to stab me again.

I growl and whip my arms down. My stars glow orange.

I grab her wrist and push my myth into her. The woman screams and crumples, dragging me down to the ground.

Everything around me seems to shake. Screaming, clatter of metal, shatters of glass, tears, blood, flashes of the knife.

The woman clenches her teeth and goes for my head. I roll to the side and push up, forcing my myth with me. She screams, choking on a sob.

Avery groans from her spot.

"Bastet..." I hear her mumble. Blood rushes to my ears. I clench my teeth and growl as I kick the woman in the chest. She gasps and collapses to the ground in a pile of limbs.

She growls and thrusts the knife up at me. Pain seers my arm.