am not - XCVI

TW: anx..ty 

--Bastet--

 I hold my breath as soon as I see the soft glow through the trees. The lights of Maylea shimmer through the leaves like lightning bugs in August. Avery and Quarry have the same nervous excitement as me. Well...maybe more nervous than excitement.

"Here," Avery instructs. We take her over to the edge of a trunk. I can hear voices shouting prices of food and the slow lullaby of musicians in the streets.

Avery huffs, taking out her backpack. She gets some money Quarry gave her and gives it back to him.

"You will be the least eye-catching, go in and get food and come out. Quickly," Avery says in a hushed voice. She seems more nervous than me and Quarry.

"Wow thanks," Quarry deadpans. Avery huffs again. Quarry runs behind the trunk of our tree.

I sit down next to Avery. She stays still.

"So." I move my feet back and forth. "Nervous?" Avery glares at me.

"No, why?" She snaps. I widen my eyes and look back at my feet.

"Okay so you're terrified." Avery growls.

"Am not," She mutters. I chuckle.

"Are too."

"Am NOT."

"Are too." I smile at her as she mutters and turns away. I sigh.

"Am not," She whispers. I frown.

"I'm terrified too." Avery looks up at me slowly. Her eyes are big and watery. I've never seen her this upset. I sit back, startled.

"Hey guys!" Quarry chirps, rounding the corner. He has three sandwiches in hand. He stops as he sees me and Avery. Quarry sits down and tucks his knees into his chest and he hands me and Avery our sandwiches.

I take a bite before I have to defuse the situation. Avery can do this on her own.

Avery takes a bite of her own sandwich. She sighs and she swallows. She looks down at her limp legs.

"I'm scared," She whispers. "I have not been back to the palace in years."

Back?

"Well, we're all going there this time," Quarry says, looking up at her. He smiles reassuringly. "So, we'll be okay."

Avery inhales shakily, nodding. She stands up before wobbling back. I catch her as I stand up too.

We finish off our sandwiches as we near the edge of Maylea. As we near I hear the voices more clearly. With that, my anxieties sharpen too. What will happen when we get to the palace?

My stars. Guards. Prison.