just resting - XLI

TW: cursing, v..lence, implication of animal cr..lity

--Bastet--

"Hello?" I call. "Hello? Who's there?" I glance away from the way I came. I feel eyes on me.

A cold hand meets my wrist. I spin around, kicking out my leg. I seize the person's wrist, twisting it away. They spread their fingers wide.

"No." I look at the person. "Thorn."

Thorn grins at me before she leans close. Her eyes look tired, a violet-blue dusted under them. Their lip is bleeding.

I look back up at her. Their shiny hair is tousled and dirty, like she has been busy for days.

"You look good, Bastet," She says slowly. I throw out my elbow and spin under their arm. My hand meets her shoulder blade as I push them to the ground. I hear Thorn growl as she yanks my own wrist. She spins beneath me.

She grins before she pushes my collarbone. I collapse. Their legs grow in size. Thorn shifts on my chest, pinning. My breath leaves my body. I gasp for air as Thorn laughs.

"I didn't even knock the wind out of you?" She says, leaning down to my face. "Aww you like me that much?" I huff before I kick up my legs. I wrap them around her throat. Thrusting up, I slam her to the ground. My grip tightens on her wrists. I have to bend down to do it.

Thorn grins up at me. Our eyes lock, hesitation of something, anything, seeping through. Their grin wavers blank. Her eyes skirt mine, their icy blue.

I still can't breathe. I wonder if she can.

"What are you doing here?" I growl at her. Thorn scoffs.

"You know I'm kinda sad you didn't want to see me, Bastet. I travel all this way." Her voice is scratchy like she's spent all this time using it. Their lips peel into another smile.

"I..." I sigh and get off her. Thorn sits up but doesn't move to attack me. "I hate you," I say. Thorn rolls her eyes.

"Join the club." I chuckle, eyes burning wet. She stares at me, startled. Their eye twitches as she shifts closer. "Wait, no, don't cry." Her hand raises, hesitating before my warm skin. I watch, my breath gone again.

I wipe my own eyes. We stay silent next to each other. They came all this way to see me? What does that mean?

"What are you doing here?" I ask her again. Thorn sighs. Her head slumps.

"I came here for..." They murmur. "Why the Meadow?" She meets my eyes.

"How do you know about the Meadow?" I ask them. Thorn scoffs at me.

"I wasn't born yesterday, Tet. Where do you think I studied?" She says, her lips peeling back into a snarl. A nickname?

"You studied with Lady Sorrel?" I ask her, chuckling. They falter before she shakes her head.

"Only for a week. I was taken out for being too...you know..." She looks to the side. "I was having a bad time. Bad life."

"You know I'm not surprised," I say. Thorn glares at me.

"I'll pin you down again," She growls. My lips peel up. She doesn't know I got good at talking back while they were gone.

"I'd like to see you try," I say, pushing my face close to hers. She twitches back, eyes wide. I swallow down a lump before turning away. Oh my fucking god. "That will probably be me."

"Why? You're all heroic and shit," She says. I look up at Thorn. She seems genuine. I stare at them for a moment. "Oh okay, I get it, don't trust the person you hate haha." She turns away.